How do I process a webpage

  • slavik944@metconnect.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hello once again all, I have been assigned a project at work that
      requires the following.
      Access a webpage and gather the data from it. From what I
      understaned
      the program that I will be creating will access the webpage in
      question via conventional methods. In other words, I dont ftp to the
      server and download the page itself. I have to access it via a web
      browser.
      So the reason I'm contacting this list is to ask to be pointed in the
      right direction as to where I should look to do this. Also, if
      anyone
      has any useful input regarding this matter I would like to hear it.

      Thanks,
      Steve M
    • daymobrew@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
        I'm going to describe how to get a page from a web site. Apologies if
        this is not the part you are stuck on.

        #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

        use strict;
        use LWP::UserAgent;
        use HTTP::Request;

        my ( $ua, $request, $response );

        $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;

        $request = HTTP::Request->new( GET => 'http://www.d.com/index.html' );
        $response = $ua->request( $request );

        # Display the returned data.
        print "Content:\n" . $response->content if ( $response->code == 200
        );

        # This crude code removes the HTML tags, leaving the basic text.
        # my $HTMLContent = $response->content;
        # $HTMLContent =~ s/<.*?>//g;
        # print "\n\n$HTMLContent";
        __END__

        This is a very simple example. You can assign the returned content
        ($response->content) to a variable (like in the commented out code at
        the end) and then parse it as you need.

        Damien.