RE: [PBML] Re: Please help - RE: Sending email with ActiveState perl

  • Franki
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
      It depends on how you are doing it...

      I copied Sender.pm into my c:\perl\lib\mail folder and it worked great just
      like that...

      The other way of doing it is to put it in the same directory as your
      script...

      Then use something like this...
      use lib "C:\\Inetpub\\scripts\\checkout";

      at the top of your script...

      don't know if that's the best way,, but it worked for me.... I got the email
      working and without the Sender.pm file in the c:\perl\lib\mail folder.

      Frank Hauptle
      http://www.gshop.com.au/
      franki@...

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2001
        We implemented a mail sending script using the Net::SMTP module.
        It is not the best module but it works (with some quirks I'll describe
        below).

        The script:
        use strict;
        use Net::SMTP;

        my $smtp_server = "smtp.domain.com";
        my $mailserv = Net::SMTP->new( $smtp_server, Hello =>
        "source_server.domain.com" );

        unless( $mailserv ) {
        die "Could not connect to server $smtp_server, $!\n";
        }

        # Turn debugging on. Will display conversation with SMTP server.
        $mailserv->debug( 1 );

        # Multi line string.
        my $data = 'Subject: Test subject from test_smtp.pl

        This is a test using Net::SMTP.
        The last line of this message.';

        # Source host.
        $mailserv->hello( "source_server.domain.com" );
        # From address.
        $mailserv->mail( "Sender Name <sender\@...>" );
        # To address(es).
        $mailserv->to( "To1\@...", "To2\@..." );
        # Send message.
        $mailserv->data( $data );
        # End session.
        $mailserv->quit();
        __END__

        You can experiment with omitting the "HELO" part of the 'new' call.
        The quirk we noticed (using Lotus Notes) was that the recipients
        appeared bcc'd!! No harm, the mail does get sent to all recipients, it
        just looks strange. This may be a Lotus Notes thing.
        We used this module because it had to work on Windows and Unix using
        Rational ClearCase's Perl (v5.001 with limited modules - no 'strict'
        in fact).
        The 'debug' setting is VERY handy. It displays the full conversation
        so you can see how your script code effects the SMTP conversation.

        This DOES work with ActiveState Perl (I have Perl v5.6). It is a
        module included in the standard installation.

        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Mike Payne" <theseus@t...> wrote:
        > I have asked this question several times on this list, and I've
        gotten very
        > few responses. I need to find the simplest way to send mail on a
        Windows
        > system with ActiveState perl. Can someone please help me out with
        some
        > information, and preferably a link to whatever solution they
        recommend.
        > Thanks.
        >
        > -Mike
      • Rob Swiger
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2001
          Get Blat!

          http://gepasi.dbs.aber.ac.uk/softw/Blat.html

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2001
            Hi people,

            I just sent this message to the CGI group... but then I figured its more
            suitable for this group.

            I am having trouble working out the best way (or any way for that matter )

            To do the following..

            I have a perl shopping cart... it works, but I want to add some extra
            functionality....

            At the top of the shopping page is a toolbar. I have put a JS popup window
            in there, that comes up at roughly 350x250px (at present the window is
            opening a existing page, not a generated one.)
            I want add a function that prints a table of purchases to that popup
            window... (ie when people are shopping they can click the button at any
            time and see what they have picked so far.)

            I have a function or sub in the script that can do that.. I am just not sure
            how to get it to print to it....

            Should I have the page have a form with hidden fields that submits on load
            to the script?

            Does anyone have any suggestions?

            (for what its worth, the script is based on Commerce.cgi)

            many thanx and kindest regards

            Frank Hauptle
            http://www.gshop.com.au/
            franki@...
          • Frank Bauer
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
              Hello,

              I used to use the following code in my script to load
              a file from a distant server:

              use LWP::Simple;
              $file = "http://www.otherhost.com/file.txt";
              @add = get( $file );

              Now I get an error message (different server):
              Simple.pm: Can't locate LWP/Simple.pm in @INC

              Does anybody know or have the source code of Simple.pm ?
            • Mike Lewis
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                uhhhh.... Have you installed 'LWP::Simple' ?

                hint:
                perl -MCPAN -e shell;
                cpan> install LWP::Simple

                HTH,
                Mike

                --

                IBM: Incredibly Bullying Menace
                3:50am up 3 days, 13:34, 6 users, load average: 2.21, 1.89, 1.42
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 18, 2001
                  Hello everybody,

                  On a host (NT server) I get sometimes this error message
                  while working through a script.

                  It seems like it only crashes shortly after or during loading
                  gib (85k and bigger) files.

                  This is the error:

                  HTTP/1.1 502 Gateway Error
                  Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
                  Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:47:33 GMT

                  allowed time for processing. The server has deleted the process.

                  The same script doesn't produce any errors on an Unix server.

                  Any idea what could cause this error?

                  Sincerely

                  Frank Bauer
                  <mailto:Support@...>

                  - Publisher & editor of the "More4you Newsletter"
                  - Webmaster of the "Frank Bauer's $1,000,000 Web-Mall" &
                  the "Would you like more... ?" website

                  If you would like to cross promote, please send an email:
                  <mailto:webmaster@...?Subject=Cross Promote>
                  If it will help us both, we will most likely have a deal!

                  Important URL's:

                  Add2it Mailman Pro Website
                  - http://www.add2it.com/mailman-pro.shtml

                  Add2it Mailman Free Website
                  - http://www.add2it.com/mailman-free.shtml

                  Add2it Timesaving Scripts For Webmasters
                  - http://www.add2it.com/scripts.shtml

                  Does your website need more traffic? Your website will be
                  submitted to over 1000 search engines & directories! Guaranteed!
                  Visit: http://www.add2it.com/go/to.cgi?l=moretraffic
                  Wouldn't you like more tips, training & tutorials for webmasters
                  & entrepreneurs? Get the monthly published More4you Newsletter
                  for free! Everything you need to make your website and business
                  a success! Subscribe at: http://www.million-mall.com/news/
                  or send an email to: <mailto:Subscribe@...>
                  Publisher, editor & webmaster: <mailto:Frank.Bauer@...>
                  Mailing Address: August-Sievers-Ring 15, 24148 Kiel, Germany
                  Voice+Fax: +1-320-204-3250 & +49-180-5052-5555-8359 ICQ: 8036878
                  More contact information at: http://www.add2it.com/contact.shtml
                  Or By Autoresponder: <mailto:Contact-Info@...>
                  Are you still searching for... ? Amazing lists of resources and
                  the best sites to shop. The best of & about network marketing
                  and other resources. How to build your traffic & your business.
                  You will find all this and more at: http://www.million-mall.com
                  list.FANTASTIC income stream. Sign up just 4 members
                  within 3 days and you will earn A$10/member for the entire
                  matrix!! This is A$880,000. Act Now Don't miss this one!!
                    > The specified CGI application exceeded the
                    > allowed time for processing.

                    I think the error message explains it.
                    You should be able to adjust the allowed time (you can in Apache).