RE: [PBML] Just one more explanation please..

  • Smith, Sheldon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2001
      1. It is an abbreviation for
      $cart_content = $cart_content . "Subtotal:  " .
      &display_price($total_cost) . "\n";

      A common operation is to modify an existing variable relative to itself. So
      rather than coding
      $variable = $variable <operator> <some expression>;
      You can code
      $variable <operator>= <some expression>;

      $a = $a + 3; is equivalent to $a += 3;
      $b = $b * 2; is equivalent to $b *= 2;
      $c = $c . "Hello"; is equivalent to $c .= "hello";

      and so on.

      2. "No reference?" Your system should have the on-line Perl documentation
      set that came with the installation. All installations I have seen set up a
      "perldoc" command (or something very similar) that accesses the on-line Perl
      documentation. Check the Perl installation instructions if necessary.
      "perldoc perl" to get a list of the verious Perl manual sections
      "perldoc perlop" covers Perl operators and precedence.
      Search for "Assignment Operators".

      The ActiveState installation for Windows, Linux and Solaris comes with the
      on-line Perl documentation set in HTML format. You can also go to
      www.activestate.com and find the ActivePerl on-line Perl documentation set
      on the Internet.