Re: [PBML] Perl & Cron Jobs

  • Gordon Stewart
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
      At 06:15 PM 8/31/03 +0200, Jenda wrote:

      >What happens if you run the script from the shell?
      >It waits for you to enter the query doesn't it? Maybe that's what
      >happens when you start the script via cron, it just sits there trying
      >to read from STDIN, doing nothing.

      I guess my ISP / Host is having cron-job problems (the website says that
      cron-jobs are updated (to the main job list i guess) every hour..)

      I came online a few days ago, & uploaded the test script etc..

      & yesterday - the cron job (test script) - sucessfully started, (& is
      still) merrily telling me the time - (in the log file) - every minute :)

      Yesterday, I logged on, & uploaded my NEW / Correct cron job list..

      & came home today & my old/test script is STILL telling me the time..

      So Ive sent a message to 'admin' (support dont seem to know..) - Advising
      how often cron jobs are updated

      I guess nothing to do - but wait..

      (anyone got a spare $2.5 million ? - ) - I'll buy my own ADSL / Cable - &
      live off the interest - & run my site from home..

      G.

    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Stewart <gordon52@s...>
        wrote:

        > My cron jobs have ceased to function, for almost a week :-(
        >

        > Hi there - Its been over 24 hours since I posted this script to my
        ISP/host
        > web forum, & ive had no responses (either telling me my script /
        cron job
        > is correct, or if theyre not correct.)
        >
        > Basically, If I run the script from the browser - It displays ok.
        > If I run it as a cron-job, it SHOULD record the same information,
        into the
        > 1st log file (if any)
        >
        > If anyone understands cron jobs, & CGI scripts, can they please reply,
        > advising that Im correct - or totally blind.
        >
        > PS - the directory name /www/g/gorstew/logs/ IS correct..
        >
        > Thanks..
        >
        > G.
        >
        > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        >
        > Is this script correct ?
        > Read carefully & follow instructions.
        >

        > in my
        > /www/g/gorstew/etc/crontab file I have (ive split it into 3 lines,
        But its
        > on 1 line) :-
        >
        > * * * * * /www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test/test1.cgi
        > >>/www/g/gorstew/logs/cron.log
        > 2>>/www/g/gorstew/logs/cron.err
        >

        > ok - The following script (in between the equals line) is my FULL
        > test/test1.cgi
        >
        > the time is now :-
        > US Naval Observatory Master Clock Time
        >
        > August 29, 13:13:05 UTC
        > August 29, 09:13:05 AM E
        > August 29, 08:13:05 AM C
        > August 29, 07:13:05 AM M
        > August 29, 06:13:05 AM P
        > August 29, 05:13:05 AM Y
        > August 29, 03:13:05 AM A
        >

        > Can anyone tell me if Im crazy, Or just plain blind
        >
        > I did upload this test yesterday - & found that after a few HOURS -
        I still
        > had no cron-jobs.
        >
        > Can anyone tell me what they think it will do (ESPECIALLY the log files)
        >
        > ================
        > #!/usr/bin/perl
        >
        > #use strict;
        >
        > use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);
        > use CGI 'param';
        > use CGI qw/:standard/;
        > use CGI::Cookie;
        > use lib './';
        > #use lib '/www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/groupmail/';
        >

        > print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
        >
        > print "<HTML><BODY>\n";
        >
        > $t=localtime(time);
        > print "HELLO THERE MATE - $t\n";
        >
        > print "</BODY>\n</HTML>\n";
        > ================

        I think Jenda's response is probably spot on.

        Change:
        use CGI 'param';
        use CGI qw/:standard/;
        to:
        use CGI qw/ :standard param -no_debug /;

        Why was 'use CGI' on two lines? Doesn't ':standard' include 'param'?
      • Andi Permadi
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
          Hi All,
          How to create Perl database link to MS-SQL 2000 Server ?
          Thankyou !!!
        • Damien Carbery
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Andi Permadi" <andi@a...> wrote:
            > Hi All,
            > How to create Perl database link to MS-SQL 2000 Server ?
            > Thankyou !!!

            I really shouldn't respond to this because if you did a bit of looking
            around you'd find the answer.

            Maybe:
            DBIx::MSSQLReporter

            You can get it from: