Perl & Cron Jobs

  • Gordon Stewart
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2003
      My cron jobs have ceased to function, for almost a week :-(

      Hi there - Its been over 24 hours since I posted this script to my ISP/host
      web forum, & ive had no responses (either telling me my script / cron job
      is correct, or if theyre not correct.)

      Basically, If I run the script from the browser - It displays ok.
      If I run it as a cron-job, it SHOULD record the same information, into the
      1st log file (if any)

      If anyone understands cron jobs, & CGI scripts, can they please reply,
      advising that Im correct - or totally blind.

      PS - the directory name /www/g/gorstew/logs/ IS correct..

      Thanks..

      G.

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

      Is this script correct ?
      Read carefully & follow instructions.

      in my
      /www/g/gorstew/etc/crontab file I have (ive split it into 3 lines, But its
      on 1 line) :-

      * * * * * /www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test/test1.cgi
      >>/www/g/gorstew/logs/cron.log
      2>>/www/g/gorstew/logs/cron.err

      ok - The following script (in between the equals line) is my FULL
      test/test1.cgi

      the time is now :-
      US Naval Observatory Master Clock Time

      August 29, 13:13:05 UTC
      August 29, 09:13:05 AM E
      August 29, 08:13:05 AM C
      August 29, 07:13:05 AM M
      August 29, 06:13:05 AM P
      August 29, 05:13:05 AM Y
      August 29, 03:13:05 AM A

      Can anyone tell me if Im crazy, Or just plain blind

      I did upload this test yesterday - & found that after a few HOURS - I still
      had no cron-jobs.

      Can anyone tell me what they think it will do (ESPECIALLY the log files)

      ================
      #!/usr/bin/perl

      #use strict;

      use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);
      use CGI 'param';
      use CGI qw/:standard/;
      use CGI::Cookie;
      use lib './';
      #use lib '/www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/groupmail/';

      print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

      print "<HTML><BODY>\n";

      $t=localtime(time);
      print "HELLO THERE MATE - $t\n";

      print "</BODY>\n</HTML>\n";
    • Jenda Krynicky
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2003
        From: Gordon Stewart <gordon52@...>
        > Basically, If I run the script from the browser - It displays ok. If I
        > run it as a cron-job, it SHOULD record the same information, into the
        > 1st log file (if any)
        >
        > If anyone understands cron jobs, & CGI scripts, can they please
        > reply, advising that Im correct - or totally blind.

        What happens if you run the script from the shell?
        It waits for you to enter the query doesn't it? Maybe that's what
        happens when you start the script via cron, it just sits there trying
        to read from STDIN, doing nothing.

        From the docs of CGI.pm:

        If you are running the script from the command line or in the
        perl
        debugger, you can pass the script a list of keywords or
        parameter=value
        pairs on the command line or from standard input (you don't have
        worry about tricking your script into reading from environment
        variables).

        Jenda
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
      • Gordon Stewart
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
          At 06:15 PM 8/31/03 +0200, Jenda wrote:

          >What happens if you run the script from the shell?
          >It waits for you to enter the query doesn't it? Maybe that's what
          >happens when you start the script via cron, it just sits there trying
          >to read from STDIN, doing nothing.

          I guess my ISP / Host is having cron-job problems (the website says that
          cron-jobs are updated (to the main job list i guess) every hour..)

          I came online a few days ago, & uploaded the test script etc..

          & yesterday - the cron job (test script) - sucessfully started, (& is
          still) merrily telling me the time - (in the log file) - every minute :)

          Yesterday, I logged on, & uploaded my NEW / Correct cron job list..

          & came home today & my old/test script is STILL telling me the time..

          So Ive sent a message to 'admin' (support dont seem to know..) - Advising
          how often cron jobs are updated

          I guess nothing to do - but wait..

          (anyone got a spare $2.5 million ? - ) - I'll buy my own ADSL / Cable - &
          live off the interest - & run my site from home..

          G.

        • Damien Carbery
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Stewart <gordon52@s...>
            wrote:

            > My cron jobs have ceased to function, for almost a week :-(
            >

            > Hi there - Its been over 24 hours since I posted this script to my
            ISP/host
            > web forum, & ive had no responses (either telling me my script /
            cron job
            > is correct, or if theyre not correct.)
            >
            > Basically, If I run the script from the browser - It displays ok.
            > If I run it as a cron-job, it SHOULD record the same information,
            into the
            > 1st log file (if any)
            >
            > If anyone understands cron jobs, & CGI scripts, can they please reply,
            > advising that Im correct - or totally blind.
            >
            > PS - the directory name /www/g/gorstew/logs/ IS correct..
            >
            > Thanks..
            >
            > G.
            >
            > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            >
            > Is this script correct ?
            > Read carefully & follow instructions.
            >

            > in my
            > /www/g/gorstew/etc/crontab file I have (ive split it into 3 lines,
            But its
            > on 1 line) :-
            >
            > * * * * * /www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test/test1.cgi
            > >>/www/g/gorstew/logs/cron.log
            > 2>>/www/g/gorstew/logs/cron.err
            >

            > ok - The following script (in between the equals line) is my FULL
            > test/test1.cgi
            >
            > the time is now :-
            > US Naval Observatory Master Clock Time
            >
            > August 29, 13:13:05 UTC
            > August 29, 09:13:05 AM E
            > August 29, 08:13:05 AM C
            > August 29, 07:13:05 AM M
            > August 29, 06:13:05 AM P
            > August 29, 05:13:05 AM Y
            > August 29, 03:13:05 AM A
            >

            > Can anyone tell me if Im crazy, Or just plain blind
            >
            > I did upload this test yesterday - & found that after a few HOURS -
            I still
            > had no cron-jobs.
            >
            > Can anyone tell me what they think it will do (ESPECIALLY the log files)
            >
            > ================
            > #!/usr/bin/perl
            >
            > #use strict;
            >
            > use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);
            > use CGI 'param';
            > use CGI qw/:standard/;
            > use CGI::Cookie;
            > use lib './';
            > #use lib '/www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/groupmail/';
            >

            > print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
            >
            > print "<HTML><BODY>\n";
            >
            > $t=localtime(time);
            > print "HELLO THERE MATE - $t\n";
            >
            > print "</BODY>\n</HTML>\n";
            > ================

            I think Jenda's response is probably spot on.

            Change:
            use CGI 'param';
            use CGI qw/:standard/;
            to:
            use CGI qw/ :standard param -no_debug /;

            Why was 'use CGI' on two lines? Doesn't ':standard' include 'param'?
          • Andi Permadi
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
              Hi All,
              How to create Perl database link to MS-SQL 2000 Server ?
              Thankyou !!!
            • Damien Carbery
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
                --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Andi Permadi" <andi@a...> wrote:
                > Hi All,
                > How to create Perl database link to MS-SQL 2000 Server ?
                > Thankyou !!!

                I really shouldn't respond to this because if you did a bit of looking
                around you'd find the answer.

                Maybe:
                DBIx::MSSQLReporter

                You can get it from: