Forking etc...

  • Gordon Stewart
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2003

      From: Paul Archer <tigger@i...>
      Date: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:22 pm
      Subject: Re: [PBML] Forking ?

      No, an exit is not a fork, nor is it an exec.
      Has your ISP told you not to do any 'system' or 'fork' calls?
      Maybe you've heard this before, but my advice is to dump this ISP and find
      one (like io.com) that gives you a shell account. That way you can actually
      get on the system and look at whatever log files and such you need to.

      Paul
      <

      No -

      Ive been designing a CGI script - I have 10-15 different modules etc..
      - anyways, when combined - it acts like Yahoogroups (with a few extra features..)

      Basically - Up to a week or so ago (cant remember when) - it was perfectly fine - My cron job activated / ran the script every minute - to check for new emails..

      (of course, I keep thinking of new / faster ways of doing things - But at least it worked :-)

      At present - It only processes 1 email every 'scan' / run of the programme - so
      - if 15 people subscribed to a group - it will take 30 minutes (at least) for the process to complete (the confirmation email etc..)

      SO - I tried to put an 'exec' in, To re-start the scrupt when it detected more than 1 email left to process.

      15-20 minutes after I uploaded - Cron jobs stoppped..

      Ive since taken out the exec command - & its still not going..

      As far as I remember, I havnt used any 'system' commands - & I definately know that I havnt used any 'fork' commands..

      I'll check tonight when I get home - & get the exact errort codes the support staff told me.

      (my hosting package expires in a few months anyway - Up till now - theyve been pretty good.. - & have log files available - But apparently these particvular log things arent in the ones I have available to me :( )