Re: [PBML] Forking ?

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2003
      No, an exit is not a fork, nor is it an exec.
      Has your ISP told you not to do any 'system' or 'fork' calls?
      Maybe you've heard this before, but my advice is to dump this ISP and find
      one (like io.com) that gives you a shell account. That way you can actually
      get on the system and look at whatever log files and such you need to.

      Paul

      Tomorrow, Gordon Stewart wrote:

      > Hi there - Can a CGI script "fork" *WITHOUT* using "exec" or "system" ?
      >
      > Ive goty a CGI script - on my main 24/7 ISP - & for the last 3-4 days, my cron-jobs dont work..
      >
      > The support desk replied something about forking etc..
      > (I dont have direct access to that particular log file - only the ones that I myself create..)
      >
      > & for last 3-4 days, there have been NO log files (so I didnt know about the error)..
      >
      > anyways - Where was I ?
      >
      > - ah yep - Forking..
      >
      > If I activate a perl module - from my main script, & use an 'exit' command - on a certain condition
      > (Ie - I dont need to do anything else..)
      >
      > Is that considered a fork ?
      >
      > I dont use exec or system - anywhere in my script..

      Reporter: "What do you think will be the biggest problem
      in computing in the 90's?"
      Paul Boutin: "There are only 17,000 three-letter acronyms."