PERL (or PHP) & os/390 browse VSAM?

  • im1coder
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
      Hi all,

      I realize this may be a very obtuse question that perhaps no one out
      there has an answer to, but here goes....

      Does anyone know how I could use PHP (or PERL, but prefer PHP)to
      establish a connection to a mainframe (os/390), then browse a VSAM
      file to look for a certain date range, extract those dates into an
      array, then close the connection.

      I know how to issue an ftp function in PHP to actually download the
      VSAM file I need...however, this file is extremely large (which
      presents connection problems, etc).

      Any ideas??

      Thanks.
    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "im1coder" <im1coder@y...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I realize this may be a very obtuse question that perhaps no one out
        > there has an answer to, but here goes....
        >
        > Does anyone know how I could use PHP (or PERL, but prefer PHP)to
        > establish a connection to a mainframe (os/390), then browse a VSAM
        > file to look for a certain date range, extract those dates into an
        > array, then close the connection.
        >
        > I know how to issue an ftp function in PHP to actually download the
        > VSAM file I need...however, this file is extremely large (which
        > presents connection problems, etc).
        >
        > Any ideas??
        >
        > Thanks.

        Can you telnet to the mainframe?
        If so there is a telnet module (Net::Telnet I think) for perl.
        Not sure if there is an equivalent one for PHP.
      • jonas
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
          I'm using ODBC and SQL to connect to an as400, would something like that
          work. (in point of fact I am still working on making perl work for
          that. But PHP worked pretty easily)

          On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 05:40, Damien Carbery wrote:
          > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "im1coder" <im1coder@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I realize this may be a very obtuse question that perhaps no one out
          > > there has an answer to, but here goes....
          > >
          > > Does anyone know how I could use PHP (or PERL, but prefer PHP)to
          > > establish a connection to a mainframe (os/390), then browse a VSAM
          > > file to look for a certain date range, extract those dates into an
          > > array, then close the connection.
          > >
          > > I know how to issue an ftp function in PHP to actually download the
          > > VSAM file I need...however, this file is extremely large (which
          > > presents connection problems, etc).
          > >
          > > Any ideas??
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          >
          > Can you telnet to the mainframe?
          > If so there is a telnet module (Net::Telnet I think) for perl.
          > Not sure if there is an equivalent one for PHP.

          An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with
          his friends. -Ernest Hemingway
        • im coder
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
            jonas.....how did you get PHP to read files on AS400? socket call??

            jonas <jonas@...> wrote:I'm using ODBC and SQL to connect to an as400, would something like that

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
              Sorry for the delay: I used UnixODBC, php-unixODBC, and I'm working on
              getting the unixODBC perl module set up. You make your DB calls through
              the unixODBC DSN's.

              The php stuff worked pretty much out-of-the-box. The unixODBC perl
              module doesn't want to compile on my box, missing some part of the
              headers. Said server died of a hardware failure yesterday, and I
              haven't tried again since rebuilding it.

              On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 16:12, im coder wrote:
              > jonas.....how did you get PHP to read files on AS400? socket call??
              >
              > jonas <jonas@...> wrote:I'm using ODBC and SQL to connect to an as400, would something like that
              > work. (in point of fact I am still working on making perl work for
              > that. But PHP worked pretty easily)
              >
              > On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 05:40, Damien Carbery wrote:
              > > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "im1coder" <im1coder@y...> wrote:
              > > > Hi all,
              > > >
              > > > I realize this may be a very obtuse question that perhaps no one out
              > > > there has an answer to, but here goes....
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone know how I could use PHP (or PERL, but prefer PHP)to
              > > > establish a connection to a mainframe (os/390), then browse a VSAM
              > > > file to look for a certain date range, extract those dates into an
              > > > array, then close the connection.
              > > >
              > > > I know how to issue an ftp function in PHP to actually download the
              > > > VSAM file I need...however, this file is extremely large (which
              > > > presents connection problems, etc).
              > > >
              > > > Any ideas??
              > > >
              > > > Thanks.
              > >
              > > Can you telnet to the mainframe?
              > > If so there is a telnet module (Net::Telnet I think) for perl.
              > > Not sure if there is an equivalent one for PHP.

              I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but
              they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson