Re: Stat & Glob ?

  • Damien Carbery
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Stewart <gordon52@s...>
      wrote:

      > Hi there...
      >
      > Is there a way to combine stat & glob - or a 3rd function /
      process ?

      > Without globbing a directory, & finding a list of *.txt files.. &
      then
      > looping through the list, & doing a stat on each one ?
      >
      > or is that the only way ?
      >
      > IE - Ive got a directory, & wish to find out how much disk space
      the files
      > are using, in total..

      I wrote a script to look at ALL files in a directory tree and add up
      the sizes. I even got it to display 'human readable' sizes (like 'ls -
      lh' or 'df -kh') with K, M and G (for KB, MB and GB of course).
      It could be easily modified to permit specifying certain file types.

      I used File::Find and the '-s' operator.

      If you want the size of a directory tree on Unix you can use 'du'.