Re: [PBML] My first scripts.

  • Bill Lanier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2001
      "perldoc perlfunc" . Basically the use of "my" is for scoping local
      variables...

      >From: Hans <hansfong@...>
      >To: perl-beginner@egroups.com
      >Subject: [PBML] My first scripts.
      >Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:12:34 +0100
      >
      >I've written some scripts that work with my radio card. If you are
      >inclined, please look at them and feed me your comments.
      >http://www.xs4all.nl/~orchard/linux/
      >
      >If you do send me comments then please remember I've written them in code I
      >understand. If you have suggestions on how to do things smarter I'd
      >appreciate if you explain why and how certain commands work. It's not that
      >I'm lazy, but certain things are rarely explained in Perl books, or are
      >quite incomprehensible for non-geeks. Want an example: I can't find what
      >the function is of "my" is in Perl/Tk scripts, not even in the "Learning
      >Perl/Tk" book I own. My scripts seem to work fine without them.
      >
      >Anyway, I had a real rewarding weekend writing something that works and
      >that's not bad for a newbie. Cheerio,
      >
      >Hans

    • Foster, Russell J.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
        Hans,

        I have to agree that there is not a lot of good documentation for non-geeks.

        > "perldoc perlfunc" . Basically the use of "my" is for scoping local
        > variables...

        ...are meaningless to me. I've been acused of "using too many lines [of
        code]" to accomplish my task... but they work, and I can read them. That's
        whats important.

        Cheers.

        -rjf

        >>From: Hans <hansfong@...>

        >>If you do send me comments then please remember I've written them in code
        >>understand. If you have suggestions on how to do things smarter I'd
        >>appreciate if you explain why and how certain commands work. It's not that
        >>I'm lazy, but certain things are rarely explained in Perl books, or are
        >>quite incomprehensible for non-geeks. Want an example: I can't find what
        >>the function is of "my" is in Perl/Tk scripts, not even in the "Learning
        >>Perl/Tk" book I own. My scripts seem to work fine without them.

        This e-mail is sent by a law firm and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify us immediately.