Re: [PBML] Perl Version

  • saf@naxs.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
      I believe the current stable version of Perl is 5.8.x, so 5.005_03 is a
      tad old.

      perldoc.com allows you to select your Perl version from a drop down list
      when seeking help.

      For instance, they have an OO tutorial for that version at:

      http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.005_03/pod/perltoot.html

      I'm sure a google search would turn up some other helpful docs.

      > 5.005_03
      >
      > Hi there
      >
      > I've found out - That my ISP has perl version 5.005_03
      >
      > In the online forum - The members say its an old version (is it ?)
      >
      > are there any online tutorials specifically for that version (or earlier)
      >
      > I'm still having troubles setting cookies :-( :-( :-(
      >
      > I wish I thought of checking out the perl version earlier - Saved me a lot
      > of hastles in figuring out why my childish scripts dont go (I mean, very
      > basic commands ;) )

      > Unsubscribing info is here:

    • Gordon Stewart
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
        >>> saf@... 07/04/03 04:02a.m. >>>
        I believe the current stable version of Perl is 5.8.x, so 5.005_03 is a
        tad old.

        perldoc.com allows you to select your Perl version from a drop down list
        when seeking help.

        For instance, they have an OO tutorial for that version at:

        http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.005_03/pod/perltoot.html

        I'm sure a google search would turn up some other helpful docs.

        <

        Thanks - Ive been using perldoc.com a bit recently - should have thought of that before I asked...

        its not often i newed to down-grade things in order for them to work.. :-(

        - will try tonight - at home

      • Gordon Stewart
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003

          I believe the current stable version of Perl is 5.8.x, so 5.005_03 is a
          tad old.
          <

          There was a message on our ISP forum last night - from an admin person

          Saying that if they upgrade perl versions - & 1% of their 40,000 customers complained (scripts dont go etc..) - its no good...

          Question :-

          If they put up a new version at /usr/bin/newperl etc..

          is there any .htaccess command that we can use to autoimaticaly change our CGI
          /usr/bin/perl to automatically refer to the new version ?

          (ie - so those that can, can use the nerw version - While everyone else - it doesnt affect..)

          Is that possible ?

        • Nick Keeling
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
            Definately. What you could do after you install the new version is
            instead of:

            #!/usr/bin/perl

            put

            #!/usr/bin/perl5.8.0 (or whatever your perl version is)

            as long as the old version maintains the /usr/bin/perl binary, a new
            version can be installed and not affect anyone. This is how we do it on
            our test machine, well actually we just use /usr/bin/perl as a soft link
            to whatever version we want to test our scripts on, but same concept.

            >>> Gordon.Stewart@... 07/03/03 06:08PM >>>

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
              >>> nickjk@... 07/04/03 11:41a.m. >>>
              Definately. What you could do after you install the new version is
              instead of:

              #!/usr/bin/perl

              put

              #!/usr/bin/perl5.8.0 (or whatever your perl version is)

              as long as the old version maintains the /usr/bin/perl binary, a new
              version can be installed and not affect anyone. This is how we do it on
              our test machine, well actually we just use /usr/bin/perl as a soft link
              to whatever version we want to test our scripts on, but same concept.
              <

              Whats a 'soft link' ?

              I know - I dont mind changing my scripts to say

              #!/usr/bin/perl5.8.0 (or whatever your perl version is)

              I guess the admin wont want to 'bother' us - re changing our scripts..
              (but ive (personally) spent 4-5 nights, 3-6 hours a night - trying to get my cookies to work :-( (still dont) )

              i was wondering, is there a way - ie .htaccess so our scripts still say

              #!/usr/bin/perl

              But it actually points to the new version ?

              I guess not (unless thats how a 'soft link works')

              If not - then I guess we'll just have to wait till the admins upgrade (or put a new version in ) - & change our scripts...

              Just trying to think of a few options (ps im not an admin or anything - I just put my home website on their server) - Its getting close to renewal time anyway - I might re-locate

            • Nick Keeling
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
                A soft link is the Linux/Unix version of a shorcut. Therefore, whatever
                version of perl you want to run at the time, you can just create a soft
                link (shortcut) to the binary (executable).

                Hope this helps.

                Nick

                >>> Gordon.Stewart@... 07/03/03 07:04PM >>>

                >>> nickjk@... 07/04/03 11:41a.m. >>>

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
                  >>> nickjk@... 07/04/03 12:14p.m. >>>
                  A soft link is the Linux/Unix version of a shorcut. Therefore, whatever
                  version of perl you want to run at the time, you can just create a soft
                  link (shortcut) to the binary (executable).

                  Hope this helps.

                  Nick
                  <

                  Kewl - thats what I thought...

                  QUESTIONS :-

                  1) - Can a CGI programmer / website designer 'create' these shortcuts ?

                  or does it have to be done via an ISP admin person ?

                  2) If we (as website designers) can create them, Then HOW can we ?

                  - Yes - the ISP ius running on Apache (& im not sure, but i think - Linux)

                  - I'll tell the ISP / admin people tonight - & maybe they'll be more inclined to upgrade - & satisfy hundreds of people that want to upgrade

                • Nick Keeling
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
                    someone with access to the box would have to do it

                    ln -s /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl5.8.0 (or whatever your version is)

                    is the command that you would need to type

                    >>> Gordon.Stewart@... 07/03/03 07:22PM >>>

                    >>> nickjk@... 07/04/03 12:14p.m. >>>

                    ?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2003
                      my $cookieThem = "$user";
                      print "Set-Cookie:ID=$cookieThem;";

                      Ok guys & gals - ive fixed my cookie problem - it seems to be similar /
                      same as what ive done in the past few days.. the only difference - (That I
                      can tell) is it has no spaces or anything... & an extra semi-colon...

                      Anyway - website work is progressing

                      I'll tell those ideas to my ISP/host - to see if they can upgrade the perl
                      code...

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 4, 2003
                        At 10:42 PM 7/4/03 Gordon Stewart wrote:-

                        >my $cookieThem = "$user";
                        >print "Set-Cookie:ID=$cookieThem;";
                        >

                        >Ok guys & gals - ive fixed my cookie problem - it seems to be similar /
                        >same as what ive done in the past few days.. the only difference - (That I
                        >can tell) is it has no spaces or anything... & an extra semi-colon...
                        >
                        >Anyway - website work is progressing

                        Hi there

                        I CAN log-in, but I cant log-out :-( (ie remove the cookie)

                        Ive tried :-

                        my $cookieThem = "";
                        print "Set-Cookie:ID=$cookieThem;";

                        and

                        my $cookieThem = "$user";
                        print "Set-Cookie:ID=;";

                        Any more ideas ? - (other combos dont work either) :(

                        The ISP is using version :- 5.005_13 (perl)

                      • Don Smith
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 4, 2003
                          Just a thought...

                          Can you set the cookie expiry date to some past date so it gets deleted by the
                          browser when you end the session?

                          Cheers,

                          Don

                          At 10:42 PM 7/4/03 Gordon Stewart wrote:-

                          >my $cookieThem = "$user";
                          >print "Set-Cookie:ID=$cookieThem;";
                          >

                          >Ok guys & gals - ive fixed my cookie problem - it seems to be similar /
                          >same as what ive done in the past few days.. the only difference - (That I
                          >can tell) is it has no spaces or anything... & an extra semi-colon...
                          >
                          >Anyway - website work is progressing

                          Hi there

                          I CAN log-in, but I cant log-out :-( (ie remove the cookie)

                          Ive tried :-

                          my $cookieThem = "";
                          print "Set-Cookie:ID=$cookieThem;";

                          and

                          my $cookieThem = "$user";
                          print "Set-Cookie:ID=;";

                          Any more ideas ? - (other combos dont work either) :(

                          The ISP is using version :- 5.005_13 (perl)

                          ---
                        • Frankie
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 4, 2003
                            yes, setting a cookie with the same name, path and domain, and a past expiry
                            should delete it.
                            I think you can also set the expiry to 'now' to expire it immediatly, but I
                            might be wrong with that.

                            setting a cookie with an undef expiry will turn it into a session cookie
                            what will expire when the browser is closed.

                            rgds

                            Franki

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 4, 2003
                              (also to Don)

                              $t = time-54600;
                              $t =localtime($t);
                              $cookieThem = "pizza";
                              print "Set-Cookie:ID=$cookieThem;expires=$t;";

                              i'm not sure what is different about the above script - I must have tried a
                              few dozen combinations

                              However its going now ;)