How To Design Perl/CGI Flowcharts

  • Will
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
      I am trying to design a flowchat for a website
      proposal presentation I have to do.

      I usually dont draw flowcharts for the Perl/CGI work I
      do, and, usually, my websites just have a document
      tree. But in this case I need to be able to "show" it
      to the client.

      The thing is that it seems like web CGI/Perl
      programming, especially data driven websites, are
      pretty messy. I took some flowcharting classes a long
      time before I learned Perl, but that was then applies
      to C. Web programming seems more "messy," so I am
      trying to find some clear, simple way of visualizing
      it for folks who want to see a flowchart.

      Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions or tutorials
      on how to do this? Tutorials would really be good.

      Thanks.

      Will

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Kyle Hamar
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
        At 03:36 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:

        >Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions or tutorials
        >on how to do this? Tutorials would really be good.

        It amazes me how rare such tutorials are.
        Take a look at
        http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/authoring/studio/guidebook/flow.html
        Another: http://www.smartdraw.com/resources/centers/flowcharts/contents.htm

        Even these sites are lacking in modern flowcharting technique.

        The most important concepts to remember are:
        Show all input sources, all output, and each decision along the way.

        I like to label functional "process areas" at the top of flowcharts.

        Visitor HTTP Database
        Visit --> Homepage
        Request Data->Form
        CGI Query --> Lookup
        Data Summary<--
        Update data--->Form
        CGI Update --> Lookup

        Well, this is messy and should be cleaned up. I hope you get the idea.
        More complex interaction may involve decision diamonds with branching output.
        Done well, all input should be at the top left and all output should occur
        after updates/decisions/database query at the bottom right of the chart.

        Kyle