Perl5 and Perl6

  • Hudson T Clark
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4 6:38 AM
      Does anyone have an idea how long perl5 is planned to be supported? I
      mean I know they are coming out with perl6 someday, I'm just a lazy
      person I guess. I'm scared that all these scripts I have worked so hard
      on will be not working someday! How long is perl support to be around?
      Anyway ideas? Will perl 5 die off when perl6 comes out?
    • john gale
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4 7:03 PM
        On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 08:38 AM, Hudson T Clark wrote:

        > I'm scared that all these scripts I have worked so hard
        > on will be not working someday! How long is perl support to be around?
        > Anyway ideas? Will perl 5 die off when perl6 comes out?

        hopefully, if the perl developers are smart enough (which, given the
        supremacy of perl, I'm sure they are) they will make future versions of
        perl almost entirely backwards compatible. Plus, you don't always have
        to upgrade. Almost all the web servers I know that run apache still
        use v1.3 instead of their most recent, v2.0.

        ciao,

        ~ john

        support the arts!
        www.smadness.com