Re: [PBML] CGI problem with Apache

  • Don Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
      Bernard,

      Sorry, but I won't be much help to you. If its not the code itself (a safe
      bet for the sound of it) then its either the server or the OS or the way
      they are interacting with each other and that I can't help you with.

      The one recurring theme I did find in searching the web using Google with
      the key words "can't spawn child process" was having an excessively large
      number of open files (or processes running, I suppose). Personally, I'd be
      surprised if that was it because I've operated some pretty antiquated
      Windows machines with VERY limited memory and have never seen that problem.

      Sorry I wasn't able to help.

      Cheers,

      Don

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
        Another problem could be that the shebang line is not good and it doesn't
        point to the location where perl is installed.

        If perl is installed on C:\perl\bin\perl.exe, than the shebang line should
        be:

        #!/perl/bin/perl

        or

        #!/perl/bin/perl.exe

        or

        #!C:/perl/bin/perl.exe

        Teddy,
        Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
        Email: orasnita@...

        > My machine is xp pro. I hope it's not the Perl code, as I am attempting
        > access an included cgi file, tryit.cgi (I was trying cgivariable as well,
        > but got the same outcome). Since it happens with a file that comes with
        the
        > distribution, I expect that there's something happening in the way I've
        set
        > it up/installed it or the way my OS is configured. I've followed the
        > install instructions, my ScriptAlias is set in accordance with the
        > instructions, but I'm getting this pesky can't spawn child process.
        >
        > Many thanks.
        >
        > Bernard

        ---

        Unsubscribing info is here: