RE: [PBML] CGI problem with Apache

  • Bernard Golden
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 7:19 PM
      Hi Don,

      My machine is xp pro. I hope it's not the Perl code, as I am attempting to
      access an included cgi file, tryit.cgi (I was trying cgivariable as well,
      but got the same outcome). Since it happens with a file that comes with the
      distribution, I expect that there's something happening in the way I've set
      it up/installed it or the way my OS is configured. I've followed the
      install instructions, my ScriptAlias is set in accordance with the
      instructions, but I'm getting this pesky can't spawn child process.

      Many thanks.

      Bernard

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 8:30 PM
        Bernard,

        Sorry, but I won't be much help to you. If its not the code itself (a safe
        bet for the sound of it) then its either the server or the OS or the way
        they are interacting with each other and that I can't help you with.

        The one recurring theme I did find in searching the web using Google with
        the key words "can't spawn child process" was having an excessively large
        number of open files (or processes running, I suppose). Personally, I'd be
        surprised if that was it because I've operated some pretty antiquated
        Windows machines with VERY limited memory and have never seen that problem.

        Sorry I wasn't able to help.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > ---
        >

        > Unsubscribing info is here:

        > Unsubscribing info is here:

        ---
      • Octavian Rasnita
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 9:06 PM
          Another problem could be that the shebang line is not good and it doesn't
          point to the location where perl is installed.

          If perl is installed on C:\perl\bin\perl.exe, than the shebang line should
          be:

          #!/perl/bin/perl

          or

          #!/perl/bin/perl.exe

          or

          #!C:/perl/bin/perl.exe

          Teddy,
          Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
          Email: orasnita@...

          > My machine is xp pro. I hope it's not the Perl code, as I am attempting
          > access an included cgi file, tryit.cgi (I was trying cgivariable as well,
          > but got the same outcome). Since it happens with a file that comes with
          the
          > distribution, I expect that there's something happening in the way I've
          set
          > it up/installed it or the way my OS is configured. I've followed the
          > install instructions, my ScriptAlias is set in accordance with the
          > instructions, but I'm getting this pesky can't spawn child process.
          >
          > Many thanks.
          >
          > Bernard

          ---

          Unsubscribing info is here: