Re: [PBML] CGI problem with Apache

  • Don Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 6:11 PM
      Bernard,

      I'm no expert, but in the absence of a more knowledgeable response, I can
      help try and find the answer. From what I've found on the web there are a
      number of possibilities that may be causing the problem. The Perl code may
      be one of them. Can you post the code? I'll try it on my machine and see
      if I get the same error. At least then we can narrow it down.

      I'm assuming your running on a Windows machine. What OS?

      Cheers,

      Don
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 7:19 PM
        Hi Don,

        My machine is xp pro. I hope it's not the Perl code, as I am attempting to
        access an included cgi file, tryit.cgi (I was trying cgivariable as well,
        but got the same outcome). Since it happens with a file that comes with the
        distribution, I expect that there's something happening in the way I've set
        it up/installed it or the way my OS is configured. I've followed the
        install instructions, my ScriptAlias is set in accordance with the
        instructions, but I'm getting this pesky can't spawn child process.

        Many thanks.

        Bernard

        > I am trying to get up and running on perl cgi scripts. I have tried to
        > execute a test program and get a 500 error. In the error log it says:
        >
        > [Thu Apr 03 16:44:36 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] couldn't spawn child
        > process: c:/apache/cgi-bin/cgivariable.cgi
        >
        > I'm not sure what to do and thought I'd ask for some help.
        >
        > TIA
        >
        > Bernard Golden

        > Unsubscribing info is here:

        ---

        Unsubscribing info is here:

      • Don Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 8:30 PM
          Bernard,

          Sorry, but I won't be much help to you. If its not the code itself (a safe
          bet for the sound of it) then its either the server or the OS or the way
          they are interacting with each other and that I can't help you with.

          The one recurring theme I did find in searching the web using Google with
          the key words "can't spawn child process" was having an excessively large
          number of open files (or processes running, I suppose). Personally, I'd be
          surprised if that was it because I've operated some pretty antiquated
          Windows machines with VERY limited memory and have never seen that problem.

          Sorry I wasn't able to help.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > ---
          >

          > Unsubscribing info is here:

          > Unsubscribing info is here:

          ---
        • Octavian Rasnita
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 9:06 PM
            Another problem could be that the shebang line is not good and it doesn't
            point to the location where perl is installed.

            If perl is installed on C:\perl\bin\perl.exe, than the shebang line should
            be:

            #!/perl/bin/perl

            or

            #!/perl/bin/perl.exe

            or

            #!C:/perl/bin/perl.exe

            Teddy,
            Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
            Email: orasnita@...

            > My machine is xp pro. I hope it's not the Perl code, as I am attempting
            > access an included cgi file, tryit.cgi (I was trying cgivariable as well,
            > but got the same outcome). Since it happens with a file that comes with
            the
            > distribution, I expect that there's something happening in the way I've
            set
            > it up/installed it or the way my OS is configured. I've followed the
            > install instructions, my ScriptAlias is set in accordance with the
            > instructions, but I'm getting this pesky can't spawn child process.
            >
            > Many thanks.
            >
            > Bernard

            ---

            Unsubscribing info is here: