RE: [PBML] How to read in a huge file?

  • Frankie
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
      don't assign it to an array.. big waste of memory..

      open (FH1,"< $file");
      while (<FH1>){
      # Do stuff to each line working on $_

      }

      see if that helps..

      rgds

      Franki

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
        Hi

        Hope this isn't too silly a question but I am very new to Perl and am trying
        to check if the users input is a number.

        Basically, here's what I've got so far. (I know it's probably not very good
        but I'm learning!)

        chomp ($times_table = <STDIN>);

        if ($times_tables =~ [0-9])
        {
        print "\nOK, so you want to try your $times_table times tables!\n";
        }
        else
        {
        exit;
        }

        What I want to do is
        if $times_table is a number then continue through the program, if it's not
        exit

        Any help would be really appreciated

        TIA

        David
      • jake@thegoop.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
          At 02:41 PM 4/2/2003, you wrote:
          >Hi
          >
          >Hope this isn't too silly a question but I am very new to Perl and am trying
          >to check if the users input is a number.
          >
          >Basically, here's what I've got so far. (I know it's probably not very good
          >but I'm learning!)
          >
          >chomp ($times_table = <STDIN>);
          >
          >if ($times_tables =~ [0-9])

          you the // surrounding the [0-9] to make it a regex. so change it to
          $times_tables =~ /\d/ the \d matches any one digit (0-9) and so is
          basically the same as writing [0-9] only typing 2 characters instead of 5
          (every little bit counts ;) )

          > {
          > print "\nOK, so you want to try your $times_table times tables!\n";
          > }
          >else
          > {
          > exit;
          > }
          Also you might try using die "You didn't supply a number from 0-9!"; so
          they know why the program died.

          >What I want to do is
          >if $times_table is a number then continue through the program, if it's not
          >exit
          >
          >Any help would be really appreciated
          >
          >TIA
          >
          >David
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >
          >Unsubscribing info is here:
          ><http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html>http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html

        • Stern, Leon
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
            Not quite -- /[0-9]/ will also match "a3a';
            as in this code --

            $a = <>;
            if ( $a =~ /[0-9]/ ) {
            print "OK";
            }
            else {
            print "no";
            }
            output --
            perl test.pl
            a3a
            OK

            >Hope this isn't too silly a question but I am very new to Perl and am trying
            >to check if the users input is a number.
            >
            >Basically, here's what I've got so far. (I know it's probably not very good
            >but I'm learning!)
            >
            >chomp ($times_table = <STDIN>);
            >
            >if ($times_tables =~ [0-9])

            you the // surrounding the [0-9] to make it a regex. so change it to
            $times_tables =~ /\d/ the \d matches any one digit (0-9) and so is
            basically the same as writing [0-9] only typing 2 characters instead of 5
            (every little bit counts ;) )

            > {
            > print "\nOK, so you want to try your $times_table times tables!\n";
            > }
            >else
            > {
            > exit;
            > }
            Also you might try using die "You didn't supply a number from 0-9!"; so
            they know why the program died.

            >What I want to do is
            >if $times_table is a number then continue through the program, if it's not
            >exit
            >
            >Any help would be really appreciated
            >
            >TIA
            >
            >David
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            >
            >Unsubscribing info is here:
            >< http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html> http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html

            >< http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705006951:HM/A=1513703/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_06F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>
            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1513703/rand=158986003>

          • Stern, Leon
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
              Here is a section from the perl cookbook.
              Checking Whether a String Is a Valid Number

              Problem

              You want to check whether a string represents a valid number. This is a common problem when validating input, as in a CGI script.

              Solution

              Compare it against a regular expression that matches the kinds of numbers you're interested in.

              if ($string =~ /PATTERN/) {
              # is a number
              } else {
              # is not
              }

              Discussion

              This problem gets to the heart of what we mean by a number. Even things that sound simple, like integer, make you think hard about what you will accept ("Is a leading + for
              positive numbers optional, mandatory, or forbidden?"). The many ways that floating-point numbers can be represented could overheat your brain.

              You must decide what you will and will not accept. Then, construct a regular expression to match those things alone. Here are some precooked solutions (the cookbook's
              equivalent of just-add-water meals) for most common cases.

              warn "has nondigits" if /\D/;
              warn "not a natural number" unless /^\d+$/; # rejects -3
              warn "not an integer" unless /^-?\d+$/; # rejects +3
              warn "not an integer" unless /^[+-]?\d+$/;
              warn "not a decimal number" unless /^-?\d+\.?\d*$/; # rejects .2
              warn "not a decimal number" unless /^-?(?:\d+(?:\.\d*)?|\.\d+)$/;
              warn "not a C float"
              unless /^([+-]?)(?=\d|\.\d)\d*(\.\d*)?([Ee]([+-]?\d+))?$/;

[...]

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705006951:HM/A=1513704/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>
              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1513704/rand=421178574>

            • Jaco
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
                Thanks everyone for your help :)

                I've read a few basic things on regexps but need to find loads of examples
                really to read through and try and understand

                To elaborate a bit: Before the code posted earlier by me, I have this:

                for ($i = 1; $i <= 10; $i++)
                {
                print "[$i] $i times tables.\n";
                }
                print "\n";

                chomp ($times_table = <STDIN>);

                etc ....

                It's a program for my son to practice his times tables and prints out a list
                times tables, dependant on the upper/max value of $i above.

                Is there some way that I could incorporate that into the regexp?
                For example, say he got really good at his times tables and wanted to be
                able to do up to his 25 times tables

                We now have
                ($i = 1; $i <= 25; $i++)

                At the moment if I type in q then it tries getting me to do my "q" times
                tables !
                So basically if it's not a value that I takes then the program should
                die/exit.
                If it is then it continues.

                The question is how could the regexp check to see if the value belonged to
                all possible values that $i takes ???

                (Hope that makes sense!)

                Cheers

                David

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
                  You need something like this untested code --

                  $flag = "keep-going";

                  while ( $flag eq "keep-going") {
                  print "Enter the table you want to work with <1-25> ";

                  $value = <>;
                  chomp $value;
                  if ( $value > 0 && $value < 26 ) {
                  $flag = "exit-loop";
                  }
                  else {
                  print "$value is not a number between 1 and 25\n";

                  Leon

[...]

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1513704/rand=979867942>

                • Charles K. Clarkson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
                    use POSIX 'isdigit';

                    foreach my $value ( 999, 'a3a', '3aa', '3 3' ) {
                    print isdigit( $value )
                    ? "$value is a number\n"
                    : "$value is not a number\n";
                    }

                    HTH,

                    Charles K. Clarkson
                    --
                    Head Bottle Washer,
                    Clarkson Energy Homes, Inc.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
                      You are right! I forgot all about the is... functions.

                      foreach my $value ( 999, 'a3a', '3aa', '3 3' ) {
                      print isdigit( $value )
                      ? "$value is a number\n"
                      : "$value is not a number\n";
                      }

                      HTH,

                      Charles K. Clarkson
                      --
                      Head Bottle Washer,
                      Clarkson Energy Homes, Inc.
                      Mobile Home Specialists
                      254 968-8328

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705006951:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>
                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=294281671>

                    • Charles K. Clarkson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
                        Jaco <jaco2001uk@...> asked:
                        : The question is how could the regexp check to see if the
                        : value belonged to all possible values that $i takes ???

                        What you need is a loop that will continue to query
                        the user after incorrect input. This loop runs forever.
                        It is dangerous but can be escaped on most systems.

                        my $max_table = 25;
                        my $input;
                        while (1) {
                        print "Which table (1 - $max_table)?";
                        chomp( $input = <STDIN> );
                        }

                        To break out we use the "last" function:

                        use POSIX 'isdigit';

                        my $max_table = 25;

                        my $input;
                        while (1) {
                        print "Which table (1 - $max_table)?";
                        chomp( $input = <STDIN> );

                        last if isdigit( $input )
                        && $input > 0
                        && $input <= $max_table;
                        }

                        print "\n\nTable selected: $input times table\n";

                        HTH,

                        Charles K. Clarkson
                        --
                        Head Bottle Washer,
                        Clarkson Energy Homes, Inc.

                        P.S.

                        A more generic approach would allow for a range
                        of answers and a user query. Using a subroutine we
                        could provide a return value. Of course, this is
                        probably overkill, but:

                        sub query_user {
                        my $range = shift;
                        my $query = shift;

                        # create a hash of valid responses
                        my %valid;
                        @valid{ @$range } = (1) x @$range;

                        while (1) {
                        print $query;
                        chomp( my $response = <STDIN> );
                        return $response if $valid{ lc $response };
                        print "\nPlease try again.\n";

                        The advantage is the flexibility.

                        my $times_table =
                        query_user(
                        [ 1 .. 25 ],
                        'Which table (1 - $max_table)?'
                        );

                        my $another table =
                        query_user(
                        'Another table?'
                        );

                        The disadvantage is only a finite number of
                        values are possible. You can't ask for any number
                        between 1 and 2, for example.