Help Needed to do Multicasting in Perl

  • tvrajesh3
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi Friends,
      I want to do Multicasting in Perl,when iam executing the following
      code the following error is coming.
      "setsockopt: Protocol not available"

      #!/usr/bin/perl
      use Socket;
      use IO::Handle; `
      $proto = getprotobyname('udp');
      print "prto is $proto\n";
      # create the generic socket
      socket(SOCK, AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, $proto) or die "socket: $!";
      $ipmadd=inet_aton('224.0.0.9');
      setsockopt(SOCK,IPPROTO_IP,IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP,$ipmadd)
      ||die "setsockopt: $!";

      Please tell me how to do multicasting in perl.Please tell me some
      sites which contains examples on Multicasting in perl.

      Regards
      Rajesh
    • Gordon Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
        Hi there, I was wondering :-

        1) Ive got a CGI database & stuff..

        im thinking of creating a 'slideshow' of pictures of various items
        Eg - (when finished, will contain 1,000's of items in the database, & each
        item/record can have 1 or more pictures.) - I expect 5-10 pics per record..

        Q. Would it be economical for a CGI script to create (on a daily basis)
        plain HTML files to simulate a slideshow. (Automatic refresh from one pic
        to the other - every 10 secs or so. - in each record.)

        or would it be economical to use CGI script to do it ? (I expect easier for
        CGI ?)

        No worries, Either option is good.

        2) (slightly off-topic) - Can anyone suggest somewhere i can go to d/load
        an entire list of USA states, & cities/regions (& postal codes - not
        necessary, but useful) from the web..

        Ive got a few people interested in test-driving a new script, However Ive
        got it set up with NZ regions/towns etc.. - & it would be boring / Not
        useful, if USA people test it...

        (I'll keep the USA version live - When finished.. (might expand my site..)

      • Gordon Stewart
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
          http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/places2k.html

          Does the above 4 files show the City / state ?

          I''ll assume the 1st two characters of the 'places' database (you can view
          the ascii version online, just press 'stop' before d/loading it all...)

          But does it contain the city/town ? (or is the "name" part - The city/town ? )
          - see notes below..

          Thanks..

          (sorry for off-topic but i cant proceed with dsesign of CGi without USA
          State/city data..)

        • Jenda Krynicky
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
            From: Gordon Stewart <gordon@...>
            > 1) Ive got a CGI database & stuff..
            >
            > im thinking of creating a 'slideshow' of pictures of various items Eg
            > - (when finished, will contain 1,000's of items in the database, &
            > each item/record can have 1 or more pictures.) - I expect 5-10 pics
            > per record..
            >
            > Q. Would it be economical for a CGI script to create (on a daily
            > basis) plain HTML files to simulate a slideshow. (Automatic refresh
            > from one pic to the other - every 10 secs or so. - in each record.)
            >
            > or would it be economical to use CGI script to do it ? (I expect
            > easier for CGI ?)

            I believe it would be better to use the CGI. Assuming you use
            mod_perl or FastCGI or PerlEx or at least PerlIS.dll ...

            I would only bother with the pregenerated pages if the script was
            doing something substantial.

            > 2) (slightly off-topic) - Can anyone suggest somewhere i can go to
            > d/load an entire list of USA states, & cities/regions (& postal codes
            > - not necessary, but useful) from the web..

            GOK

            Jenda
            -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
          • Krishnakant Mane