Re: [PBML] Perl error

  • Jenda Krynicky
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
      From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@...>
      > I've tried that, but it is the same.
      > I've cut the script to see where is the problem and I found it though
      > I don't know how to solve it.
      >
      > The problem is in the DBI module.
      >
      > If I use the following script, it gives me that error.
      > If I comment out the line
      > use DBI;
      > then the script works fine.

      What version of DBI do you have?
      This DOES look like a problem in DBI, but I think this has already
      been solved in the newest version.

      Would it be possible to use DBI only in one thread and only AFTER the
      fork()? I have a service with two threads in 5.6.1 (build 631) and it
      works very fine this way. The easiest way is to have one "main"
      script that does whatever startup necessary (in my case creates some
      semaphores and a pipe), fork()s and requires a different script in
      parent and child. As long as I use DBI and DBD::ODBC only in one
      thread it worked all right.

      Jenda
      -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
    • Octavian Rasnita
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
        Thank you. I will try to use DBI only after forking.

        I have DBI.pm,v 11.18 2002/07/18 14:23:44 timbo Exp $
        running under Windows 2000 and Perl 5.8.0.

        Teddy,
        Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
        Email: orasnita@...

        > > I've cut the script to see where is the problem and I found it though
        > > I don't know how to solve it.
        > >
        > > The problem is in the DBI module.
        > >
        > > If I use the following script, it gives me that error.
        > > If I comment out the line
        > > use DBI;
        > > then the script works fine.
        >
        > What version of DBI do you have?
        > This DOES look like a problem in DBI, but I think this has already
        > been solved in the newest version.
        >
        > Would it be possible to use DBI only in one thread and only AFTER the
        > fork()? I have a service with two threads in 5.6.1 (build 631) and it
        > works very fine this way. The easiest way is to have one "main"
        > script that does whatever startup necessary (in my case creates some
        > semaphores and a pipe), fork()s and requires a different script in
        > parent and child. As long as I use DBI and DBD::ODBC only in one
        > thread it worked all right.
        >
        > Jenda
        > ===== Jenda@... === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
        > When it comes to wine, women and song, wizards are allowed
        > -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
        >

        > Unsubscribing info is here:

      • Jenda Krynicky
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2003
          From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@...>
          > Thank you. I will try to use DBI only after forking.
          >
          > I have DBI.pm,v 11.18 2002/07/18 14:23:44 timbo Exp $
          > running under Windows 2000 and Perl 5.8.0.

          This is the version inside whatever version control system Tim Bunce
          uses. It would be better if you gave me the one on

          $DBI::VERSION = "..."
          line.

          Anyway the current is 1.32, but ActiveState still has 1.30.
          I did compile DBI for myself, all tests passed and everything looks
          normal. I can make it available in my repository if needed.

          Jenda
          P.S.: 1.32 is
          # $Id: DBI.pm,v 11.23 2002/12/01 22:34:29 timbo Exp $

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2003
            I've took a look, and I saw that I have the version 1.30 as you said.
            Can you tell me the address of your repository where I can find the DBI
            module?

            Thank you.

            Teddy,
            Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
            Email: orasnita@...

            > > Thank you. I will try to use DBI only after forking.
            > >
            > > I have DBI.pm,v 11.18 2002/07/18 14:23:44 timbo Exp $
            > > running under Windows 2000 and Perl 5.8.0.
            >
            > This is the version inside whatever version control system Tim Bunce
            > uses. It would be better if you gave me the one on
            >
            > $DBI::VERSION = "..."
            > line.
            >
            > Anyway the current is 1.32, but ActiveState still has 1.30.
            > I did compile DBI for myself, all tests passed and everything looks
            > normal. I can make it available in my repository if needed.
            >
            > Jenda
            > P.S.: 1.32 is
            > # $Id: DBI.pm,v 11.23 2002/12/01 22:34:29 timbo Exp $
            >
            > ===== Jenda@... === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
            > When it comes to wine, women and song, wizards are allowed
            > -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
            >

            > Unsubscribing info is here:

          • Jenda Krynicky
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2003
              From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@...>

              > I've took a look, and I saw that I have the version 1.30 as you said.
              > Can you tell me the address of your repository where I can find the
              > DBI module?

              You can now install it from http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz/perl/

              I only have a 5.8 version there, the 5.6.1 one did not pass all
              tests. (Well even the 5.8 skipped some, but that should be fine.)

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003