Figuring up dates - age

  • ericvia@airmail.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2001
      I have a problem I'd love some advice on please oh wise ones!

      I have many files, each file has many (records) lines with dates in
      them - in the form of ccyyddmm - what I have done to give me an
      indication as to how old these lines are is said in a shell script is
      to first cut out the datefield from each file, look for a date, and
      count it - and then tell me how many for each month. Like this:

      cut -c131-140 FILENAME | grep 200011* | wc -l
      echo "Records were found for November 2000"
      cut -c131-140 FILENAME | grep 200012* | wc -l
      echo "Record were found for December 2000"

      Now as you can see that'll do it - but what I would LIKE to do is
      be able to produce an output of:

      "437 records are older than 30 days"
      "937 records are older than 60 days"
      "23 records are older than 90 days"

      Now - using the "cut" command to pull the date out - I figure
      perhaps I can do something cool with it and PERL based on the current
      date - so I figure I can start out by using:

      CURDATE=`date +%Y%m%d`
      and then SOMEHOW - this is the catcher for me - subtract the record
      date from the current date and "know" how many days old a file is.

      Can anyone give me any pointers? Do you think there's something in
      PERL I could use to do this??

      Thanks in advance!

      Eric