Re: New to perl world

  • James E Keenan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2000
      On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 07:18:02 -0000
      luis@... wrote:

      "...I do not have any programing skill at all. I heard that
      perl is easy to learn. So far I learn alot about linux (red hat 7.0 )
      So if anyone out there has any sites that I should take a look at or
      know any sites that I could learn on the net about perl it would
      really be helpfull. ..."

      The Perl home page (www.perl.com) has recently been carrying a series of
      articles on Beginning Perl. Here's a link to the first article in the
      series: http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/10/begperl1.html

      However, I would STRONGLY advise you to invest in a couple of introductory
      textbooks on Perl, particularly Randal Schwartz, et. al., "Learning Perl,"
      published by O'Reilly, and Andrew L. Johnson, "Elements of Programming with
      Perl," published by Manning. Here are their Amazon.com links:

      Schwartz:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922840/ref=sc_b_1/002-1726351-947
      6833
      Johnson:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1884777805/ref=sc_b_2/002-1726351-947
      6833

      Bookpool.com usually has even better discounts than Amazon, but the last
      time I looked they didn't carry Manning books.

      Jim Keenan/Brooklyn, NY