RE: [PBML] FW: Accessing web-based MS Access (mdb) backend

  • Mystik Gotan
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
      If it doesn't work (it wouldn't really surprise me, actually), then hop to
      CPAN and search. DB_File would be nice, yes.

      --------------
      Bob Erinkveld (Webmaster Insane Hosts)
      www.insane-hosts.net
      MSN: gotan2k3@...

      >From: "Chris Brown" <browny1979@...>
      >To: <perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [PBML] FW: Accessing web-based MS Access (mdb) backend
      >Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 19:25:26 -0000
      >
      >I looked those commands up, although it seems useful it relies on DBM
      >files.
      >I don't really know much about using these, so I would prefer to stick to
      >looking at connecting to an MS Access database for now - although DB_File
      >might be the way to go if I have no success. That is, unless somehow I can
      >use dbmopen() to connect to an Access dB???
      >
      >Thanks
      >Chris

      MSN Zoeken, voor duidelijke zoekresultaten!
      http://search.msn.nl/worldwide.asp
    • Jean-S├ębastien Guay
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
        I use MySQL, but I believe database connections in Perl have been written so that most any DBMS can be accessed the same way. For MySQL, I need the DBI module (Database-independent interface) and the DBD-MySQL module (database driver for MySQL). I guess if there is a DBD-Access module or something similar, then that would work for you. Check CPAN or the ActiveState PPM repository.

        Hope this helps,

        J-S

        for opening dbmclose() and dmbopen() are good solutions. It might be helpful
        to you.

        --------------
        Bob Erinkveld (Webmaster Insane Hosts)
        www.insane-hosts.net
        MSN: gotan2k3@...

        >From: "Chris Brown" <browny1979@...>
        >To: <perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [PBML] FW: Accessing web-based MS Access (mdb) backend
        >Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:40:58 -0000
        >
        >Hi.
        >
        >I develop MS Access databases for a living and was wondering about using
        >Windows-based mdb backends on a website. I have a very basic knowledge of
        >Perl.
        >
        >I had the idea of putting the mdb file on my web server and would like to
        >use Perl to connect to it.
        >
        >Problem is I don't have a clue where to start! I use VBA/SQL to code the
        >frontend based in Access, but getting a web-based Perl script to connect to
        >the backend defeats me. Ideally I would like SQL functionality.
        >
        >Could anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial site, or maybe
        >someone even has some example code?
        >
        >Once I get started I'm sure I'll pick it up, but my experiments with DBI
        >just don't work :(
        >
        >Thanks
        >Chris

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Chris Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
          My web server has MySQL installed, athough I never considered using it. I
          took a look at the MySql module on CPAN and I think I could manage using
          that. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent DBI module for Access - I can
          find some that will do the trick but they seem a lot more complicated than
          MySql. With that in mind I've decided to dump Access for MySQL, to see how I
          get on. I suppose it makes sense using a dB geared towards the internet than
          a package supposed to be run on a network hard-drive.

          Thanks!
          Chris

          for opening dbmclose() and dmbopen() are good solutions. It might be
          helpful
          to you.

          --------------
          Bob Erinkveld (Webmaster Insane Hosts)
          www.insane-hosts.net
          MSN: gotan2k3@...

          >From: "Chris Brown" <browny1979@...>
          >To: <perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [PBML] FW: Accessing web-based MS Access (mdb) backend
          >Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:40:58 -0000
          >
          >Hi.
          >
          >I develop MS Access databases for a living and was wondering about
          using
          >Windows-based mdb backends on a website. I have a very basic knowledge
          of
          >Perl.
          >
          >I had the idea of putting the mdb file on my web server and would like
          >use Perl to connect to it.
          >
          >Problem is I don't have a clue where to start! I use VBA/SQL to code
          the
          >frontend based in Access, but getting a web-based Perl script to
          connect to
          >the backend defeats me. Ideally I would like SQL functionality.
          >
          >Could anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial site, or
          maybe
          >someone even has some example code?
          >
          >Once I get started I'm sure I'll pick it up, but my experiments with
          DBI
          >just don't work :(
          >
          >Thanks
          >Chris