SSI Question + Script Concept Recommendations

  • Will
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
      Greetings,

      I am trying to build a script to track my sites'
      visitors using SSIs and MySQL. For each html document
      I want to set and SSI that will invoke a counter that
      will track the number of visitors to a page, and,
      then, log this information into MySQL.

      The concept seems flexible because I could generate a
      generalized report stating the visitors to each page
      on a day, week, monthly basis simply by drawing the
      info from MySQL, but I am still just working on how to
      do this.

      I would need to set a cookie, but I am not sure of how
      I am going to do that using just yet. I was wondering
      if it is possible set a cookie using an SSI? And,
      then, on the same page - call a second SSI to read the
      cookie and then update the DB?

      Any good advice much appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Will

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
        --- In perl-beginner@y..., Will <self_deprecated@y...> wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am trying to build a script to track my sites'
        > visitors using SSIs and MySQL. For each html document
        > I want to set and SSI that will invoke a counter that
        > will track the number of visitors to a page, and,
        > then, log this information into MySQL.
        >
        > The concept seems flexible because I could generate a
        > generalized report stating the visitors to each page
        > on a day, week, monthly basis simply by drawing the
        > info from MySQL, but I am still just working on how to
        > do this.
        >
        > I would need to set a cookie, but I am not sure of how
        > I am going to do that using just yet. I was wondering
        > if it is possible set a cookie using an SSI? And,
        > then, on the same page - call a second SSI to read the
        > cookie and then update the DB?
        >
        > Any good advice much appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Will

        Another idea would be to parse the log files and load the information
        into the database. This may not provide information that a cookie or
        some 'real-time' method but it is certainly simple to implement and
        has zero impact on your server.
      • Deo Bisnath
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
          Good day, Buenos dias, Namaste:
          I am a newbie to PERL & Linux & bash. Coming from a WINDOWS/DOS world,
          good riddance. I am working on Linux machine, gcc++ compiler, and
          Anywhere Office with Anywhere spreadsheet. Would greatly appreciate
          help on the following:
          - a good PERL turorial(s)
          - where can I find example PERL scripts
          - a few ideas & pointers (e.g. where do I start...) on how to write a
          script to do this:
          go thru a list of ASCII files, select pieces of data from these files
          and fill cells in an anywhere spreadsheet.
          Thanks.

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com