Re: [PBML] FW: Accessing web-based MS Access (mdb) backend

  • Mystik Gotan
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
      Hiya,

      for opening dbmclose() and dmbopen() are good solutions. It might be helpful
      to you.

      --------------
      Bob Erinkveld (Webmaster Insane Hosts)
      www.insane-hosts.net
      MSN: gotan2k3@...

      >From: "Chris Brown" <browny1979@...>
      >To: <perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [PBML] FW: Accessing web-based MS Access (mdb) backend
      >Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:40:58 -0000
      >
      >Hi.
      >
      >I develop MS Access databases for a living and was wondering about using
      >Windows-based mdb backends on a website. I have a very basic knowledge of
      >Perl.
      >
      >I had the idea of putting the mdb file on my web server and would like to
      >use Perl to connect to it.
      >
      >Problem is I don't have a clue where to start! I use VBA/SQL to code the
      >frontend based in Access, but getting a web-based Perl script to connect to
      >the backend defeats me. Ideally I would like SQL functionality.
      >
      >Could anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial site, or maybe
      >someone even has some example code?
      >
      >Once I get started I'm sure I'll pick it up, but my experiments with DBI
      >just don't work :(
      >
      >Thanks
      >Chris

      Ontvang je Hotmail & Messenger berichten op je mobiele telefoon met Hotmail
      SMS http://www.msn.nl/jumppage/
    • Chris Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
        I looked those commands up, although it seems useful it relies on DBM files.
        I don't really know much about using these, so I would prefer to stick to
        looking at connecting to an MS Access database for now - although DB_File
        might be the way to go if I have no success. That is, unless somehow I can
        use dbmopen() to connect to an Access dB???

        Thanks
        Chris

        for opening dbmclose() and dmbopen() are good solutions. It might be helpful
        to you.

        --------------
        Bob Erinkveld (Webmaster Insane Hosts)
        www.insane-hosts.net
        MSN: gotan2k3@...

        >From: "Chris Brown" <browny1979@...>
        >To: <perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [PBML] FW: Accessing web-based MS Access (mdb) backend
        >Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:40:58 -0000
        >
        >Hi.
        >
        >I develop MS Access databases for a living and was wondering about using
        >Windows-based mdb backends on a website. I have a very basic knowledge of
        >Perl.
        >
        >I had the idea of putting the mdb file on my web server and would like to
        >use Perl to connect to it.
        >
        >Problem is I don't have a clue where to start! I use VBA/SQL to code the
        >frontend based in Access, but getting a web-based Perl script to connect to
        >the backend defeats me. Ideally I would like SQL functionality.
        >
        >Could anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial site, or maybe
        >someone even has some example code?
        >
        >Once I get started I'm sure I'll pick it up, but my experiments with DBI
        >just don't work :(
        >
        >Thanks
        >Chris

      • Mystik Gotan
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
          If it doesn't work (it wouldn't really surprise me, actually), then hop to
          CPAN and search. DB_File would be nice, yes.

          --------------
          Bob Erinkveld (Webmaster Insane Hosts)
          www.insane-hosts.net
          MSN: gotan2k3@...

          >From: "Chris Brown" <browny1979@...>
          >To: <perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [PBML] FW: Accessing web-based MS Access (mdb) backend
          >Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 19:25:26 -0000
          >
          >I looked those commands up, although it seems useful it relies on DBM
          >files.
          >I don't really know much about using these, so I would prefer to stick to
          >looking at connecting to an MS Access database for now - although DB_File
          >might be the way to go if I have no success. That is, unless somehow I can
          >use dbmopen() to connect to an Access dB???
          >
          >Thanks
          >Chris

          MSN Zoeken, voor duidelijke zoekresultaten!
          http://search.msn.nl/worldwide.asp
        • Jean-S├ębastien Guay
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
            I use MySQL, but I believe database connections in Perl have been written so that most any DBMS can be accessed the same way. For MySQL, I need the DBI module (Database-independent interface) and the DBD-MySQL module (database driver for MySQL). I guess if there is a DBD-Access module or something similar, then that would work for you. Check CPAN or the ActiveState PPM repository.

            Hope this helps,

            J-S

            for opening dbmclose() and dmbopen() are good solutions. It might be helpful
            to you.

            --------------
            Bob Erinkveld (Webmaster Insane Hosts)
            www.insane-hosts.net
            MSN: gotan2k3@...

            >From: "Chris Brown" <browny1979@...>
            >To: <perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [PBML] FW: Accessing web-based MS Access (mdb) backend
            >Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:40:58 -0000
            >
            >Hi.
            >
            >I develop MS Access databases for a living and was wondering about using
            >Windows-based mdb backends on a website. I have a very basic knowledge of
            >Perl.
            >
            >I had the idea of putting the mdb file on my web server and would like to
            >use Perl to connect to it.
            >
            >Problem is I don't have a clue where to start! I use VBA/SQL to code the
            >frontend based in Access, but getting a web-based Perl script to connect to
            >the backend defeats me. Ideally I would like SQL functionality.
            >
            >Could anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial site, or maybe
            >someone even has some example code?
            >
            >Once I get started I'm sure I'll pick it up, but my experiments with DBI
            >just don't work :(
            >
            >Thanks
            >Chris

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Chris Brown
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
              My web server has MySQL installed, athough I never considered using it. I
              took a look at the MySql module on CPAN and I think I could manage using
              that. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent DBI module for Access - I can
              find some that will do the trick but they seem a lot more complicated than
              MySql. With that in mind I've decided to dump Access for MySQL, to see how I
              get on. I suppose it makes sense using a dB geared towards the internet than
              a package supposed to be run on a network hard-drive.

              Thanks!
              Chris

              for opening dbmclose() and dmbopen() are good solutions. It might be
              helpful
              to you.

              --------------
              Bob Erinkveld (Webmaster Insane Hosts)
              www.insane-hosts.net
              MSN: gotan2k3@...

              >From: "Chris Brown" <browny1979@...>
              >To: <perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [PBML] FW: Accessing web-based MS Access (mdb) backend
              >Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:40:58 -0000
              >
              >Hi.
              >
              >I develop MS Access databases for a living and was wondering about
              using
              >Windows-based mdb backends on a website. I have a very basic knowledge
              of
              >Perl.
              >
              >I had the idea of putting the mdb file on my web server and would like
              >use Perl to connect to it.
              >
              >Problem is I don't have a clue where to start! I use VBA/SQL to code
              the
              >frontend based in Access, but getting a web-based Perl script to
              connect to
              >the backend defeats me. Ideally I would like SQL functionality.
              >
              >Could anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial site, or
              maybe
              >someone even has some example code?
              >
              >Once I get started I'm sure I'll pick it up, but my experiments with
              DBI
              >just don't work :(
              >
              >Thanks
              >Chris