Re: [PBML] perlcc compiler

  • Octavian Rasnita
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 27, 2002
      Thank you.

      I've tried using PerlApp and perl2exe but they don't compile the code.
      They include the compiler in the executable and it becomes very large.

      I heard that perlcc included in Perl 5.8 is better than perlcc included in
      older versions of Perl.

      Teddy,
      Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
      Email: orasnita@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
        From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@...>
        > Thank you.
        >
        > I've tried using PerlApp and perl2exe but they don't compile the code.
        > They include the compiler in the executable and it becomes very large.

        To support the eval"" you HAVE to include the compiler with your
        program. I would not expect the perlcc created executables to be much
        smaller (if they would be smaller at all). Also the speed increase
        will be small.

        I think the best spacewise is to use PerlApp -x to exclute the
        PerlXX.dll from the executable and copy the DLL separately and share
        it between several executables.

        > I heard that perlcc included in Perl 5.8 is better than perlcc
        > included in older versions of Perl.

        I bet it is. I still would not believe it though.

        Jenda

        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
      • Hans Ginzel
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 12, 2002
          On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 02:20:09PM +0100, Jenda Krynicky wrote:
          > > I've tried using PerlApp and perl2exe but they don't compile the code.
          > > They include the compiler in the executable and it becomes very large.
          >
          > To support the eval"" you HAVE to include the compiler with your
          > program. I would not expect the perlcc created executables to be much
          > smaller (if they would be smaller at all). Also the speed increase
          > will be small.

          And is there a perlcompiler *without* support of eval"" which will
          compile code to as good code as gcc would do for C for analogous program?
          Or some Perl2C without eval"" scipt?

          > I think the best spacewise is to use PerlApp -x to exclute the
          > PerlXX.dll from the executable and copy the DLL separately and share
          > it between several executables.

          How to do that for a Debian GNU/Linux platform? Has someone
          modified debian/rules to compile perl this way?

          $ which perl
          /usr/bin/perl

          $ ls -l `!!`
          ... 707064 Jan 10 2002 /usr/bin/perl

          $ldd <ESC>.
          libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40029000)
          libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x4002c000)
          libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4004d000)
          libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0x40168000)

          There is a perl_mod for apache with cache for parsed and compiled code.
          How to make it a general deamon / kernel modul usefull for every user
          and every script not only for cgi/embperl?

          Probably there is a better group where to ask for?

          Best regards
          Hans Ginzel
          http://www.parrotcode.org/
          http://practicalperl.com/slides/L02/slide_000.html
        • Jenda Krynicky
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
            From: Hans Ginzel <hans@...>
            > On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 02:20:09PM +0100, Jenda Krynicky wrote:
            > > > I've tried using PerlApp and perl2exe but they don't compile the
            > > > code. They include the compiler in the executable and it becomes
            > > > very large.
            > >
            > > To support the eval"" you HAVE to include the compiler with your
            > > program. I would not expect the perlcc created executables to be
            > > much smaller (if they would be smaller at all). Also the speed
            > > increase will be small.
            >
            > And is there a perlcompiler *without* support of eval"" which will
            > compile code to as good code as gcc would do for C for analogous
            > program? Or some Perl2C without eval"" scipt?

            I don't think so. Too many modules would stop working. Keep in mind
            autoloading and similar stuff.

            > > I think the best spacewise is to use PerlApp -x to exclute the
            > > PerlXX.dll from the executable and copy the DLL separately and share
            > > it between several executables.
            >
            > How to do that for a Debian GNU/Linux platform? Has someone
            > modified debian/rules to compile perl this way?

            I have no idea.

            Maybe Perl-Unix-Users@... or
            PDK@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 14, 2002
              On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 12:06:04AM +0100, Hans Ginzel wrote:
              > > I think the best spacewise is to use PerlApp -x to exclute the
              > > PerlXX.dll from the executable and copy the DLL separately and share
              > > it between several executables.
              >
              > How to do that for a Debian GNU/Linux platform? Has someone
              > modified debian/rules to compile perl this way?

              I realised, there is a perl shared library in debian:
              $ dpkg --status libperl5.6
              Package: libperl5.6
              Provides a shared library for programs which embed a Perl
              interpreter. This includes the /usr/bin/perl binary on architectures other
              than i386 (where there is a measured performance hit when perl is
              dynamically linked).

              But there could be probably memory usage hits, when runs application
              with embed perl interpreter and a perl script. Did not study.