PPT to text

  • Sumit
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      Friends,
      I need a PPT to text converter. I started writting something using OLE. I have pasted the code that I have
      so far. I open a PPT, save it as rtf and then convert rtf to text. Not the best but works.. Now some minor
      problems.
      * I have to make the power point application visible otherwise it does not convert - Is there a turn around to this.
      * All it saves is the text in the outline, only those outlines that are expanded. If an outline is collapsed it is ignored.

      Has anyone tried this before?? Most helpful would be if someone can tell me where can I find complete documentation
      of the PowerPoint OLE properties and methods.

      use Win32::OLE;

      $source = $ARGV[0];

      $PPT = Win32::OLE->GetActiveObject('PowerPoint.Application') || Win32::OLE->new('PowerPoint.Application');
      $PPT->{'Visible'} = 1;
      #$PPT->{'DisplayAlerts'} = 1;

      opendir(DIR,"$source")||die "Cant open BRS File:$!\n";
      foreach $file (readdir(DIR))
      {
      next if($file eq "." || $file eq "..");
      $PPTDoc = $PPT->Presentations->Open("$source\\$file",,,0);

      $rtfFile = substr($file, 0, length($file)-3) . "rtf";
      $PPTDoc->SaveAs("$source\\$rtfFile", 6);
      $PPTDoc->Close();

      system("DOC2TXT.EXE -o \"$source\" \"$source\\$rtfFile\"");
      unlink("$source/$rtfFile");
      }
      close(DIR);

    • Sumit
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
        Nope, it showed the same behavior. I wrote an email to them, maybe they
        'hide' important
        features in the demo version. More thoughts welcomed.
        Thanks.