Search Vars $` $& and $'

  • Joe Catanzaro
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2002
      I've read several times that $` $& and $' are inefficient and that they
      should be avoided. I've also read (if I remember correctly) that they are
      no longer inefficient. Is this true? Should I continue to avoid the use of
      these. Also, if these are no longer inefficient, what version was this
      change made?

      Joe Catanzaro
      joecatanzaro@...
    • Franki
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2002
        according to "programing with perl ver 3" they are less inefficient then
        they were.. and if you use them once.. you might as well use them all over
        the place, since you have already incurred the penalty....

        So they still slow things down, but not as much as they used to.

        rgds

        Frank

        I've read several times that $` $& and $' are inefficient and that they
        should be avoided. I've also read (if I remember correctly) that they are
        no longer inefficient. Is this true? Should I continue to avoid the use of
        these. Also, if these are no longer inefficient, what version was this
        change made?

        Joe Catanzaro
        joecatanzaro@...

        Unsubscribing info is here:

      • Jenda Krynicky
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
          From: Joe Catanzaro <joecatanzaro@...>
          > I've read several times that $` $& and $' are inefficient and that
          > they should be avoided. I've also read (if I remember correctly) that
          > they are no longer inefficient. Is this true? Should I continue to
          > avoid the use of these. Also, if these are no longer inefficient, what
          > version was this change made?

          They are not as inefficient as they used to be, but they still slow
          things down. IMHO there is no need to use them.

          Jenda
          -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery