Re: [PBML] Re: Random Number Generator

  • Bryan Irvine
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
      I _DID_ tell him to add 5 in one of mine and even gave some code...so he
      needs to start reading and not get so frustrated.

      If you are still on the list, calm down a smidge...

      sheesh!

      On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 19:16, Jenda Krynicky wrote:
      > From: "RicK" <rik408@...>
      >
      > > Know what?
      > > I think I can do without this group.
      > > I asked a simple question, and all I got back were condescending and
      > > patronizing remarks. I thought this was a group for beginning Perl
      > > programmers, but I see a few big fish living in this little pond.
      > > Sorry for asking my question. Actually a large part of the class had
      > > problems with it. We all thought it was a bit much to ask us to do in
      > > the FIRST week of class. Anyway, thanks for making a newcomer feel so
      > > "welcome".
      > >
      > > Outtie,
      > > Rick
      >
      > I'm sorry if you feel offended.
      >
      > I really could not believe someone could have problems with this if
      > he tried.
      >
      > If you want to be angry on someone, be angry at your math teacher.
      > He/She aparently did not do his/her job well.
      >
      > In this case instead of telling you to add 5 to the rand(10), we
      > tried to give you hints. Instead of giving you a fish we all tried to
      > force you to learn to fish.
      >
      > Programming is NOT writing code, programming is solving problems!
      > You can't expect to find the solution to each and every of your
      > problems in a book or be taught in lessons. YOU are the one who is
      > supposed to find solutions. Writing the code is the easy part,
      > finding the solution, considering all posible cases and errors is the
      > hard part. But that's what YOU are (will be) there for.
      >
      > Jenda
      > P.S.: As for what this group is for. This group IS for beginning Perl
      > programmers. It was made to aid in their LEARNING.
      > It's up to you if you stay, but be prepared to get hints instead of
      > solutions. And be prepared to look stupid from time to time. We all
      > use(d) to.
      > == Jenda@... == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==
      > I wonder why the whole chemistry industry ignores
      > computer bugs. We all would gladly pay big bucks
      > for a functional insecticide.

    • Bryan Irvine
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
        he got a _TON_ of hints and several examples of code even, I can think
        of 4 although 2 were what jenda would call a "cannon" ;-)

        Bryan

        On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 20:56, Sean Correia wrote:
        > > It may come across as condesending, but its not really..
        >
        > I disagree. He didn't ask for a mentor, he asked a question. It's his problem if he wants to shortcut the learning process not our concern to babysit him and offer him friendly advice. I am sure there are other groups for that.
        >
        > > imagine what your
        > > teacher would think if you handed him some really excellent code that
        > > answers the question perfectly.. I imagine he/she would
        > > rightly assume that
        > > you "had alot of help"
        >
        > Imagine what some people's bosses would think if they found out their 'programmers' were asking questions about stuff they should already know.
        >
        > It's bullshit that if someone asks a homework related question he gets no answer and hints, but if someone asks a job related question they get whole programs.
        >
        > Just my .02
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Sean

      • Sean Correia
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
          > It may come across as condesending, but its not really..

          I disagree. He didn't ask for a mentor, he asked a question. It's his problem if he wants to shortcut the learning process not our concern to babysit him and offer him friendly advice. I am sure there are other groups for that.

          > imagine what your
          > teacher would think if you handed him some really excellent code that
          > answers the question perfectly.. I imagine he/she would
          > rightly assume that
          > you "had alot of help"

          Imagine what some people's bosses would think if they found out their 'programmers' were asking questions about stuff they should already know.

          It's bullshit that if someone asks a homework related question he gets no answer and hints, but if someone asks a job related question they get whole programs.

          Just my .02

          Cheers,
          Sean
        • Mike Dillinger
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
              I completely agree Jenda. You need to not look only for a straight answer,
              but instead take the hints, and try to figure out what it means and put
              them together with what you already know. Not every program you need will
              already have the code written in a book, on a website, or taught in
              class. What WILL be there is techniques to use different things with the
              code, and it will be up to you to put those together and make the program
              you need.
              Any way, my question: Rick, do you know how to add two numbers together in
              Perl?

            • jake@thegoop.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
                At 02:42 PM 10/1/2002, you wrote:
> [...]

                i never was playing God, and i dont think anyone else was trying to. We
                were just tryin to give the person (Rick) a learning experience, so he (I'm
                assuming he) gets more self satisfaction from figuring it out more or less
                himself, rather than just bein told the code with no explanation or anythin
                really.

                >Wherever you go, people are going to succeed and move up the ladder by
                >cheating. So you maybe able to stop it here, but the person will find help
                >elsewhere. You're basically just delaying the inevitable. BTW - I'm
                >saying anyone does this, I'm just saying it's difficult to prevent
                >cheating, and especially over e-mail.
                >
                >I would suggest first, get the person on the right thought process, without
                >necessarily giving out code. If they come back for more help, then help
                >them out with specific code.

                Again, what i was doing, maybe a little slow tho...also what the others
                where doin.