parsing

  • Maisha Walker
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
      Hi all,

      Thanks again to everyone who answered my "-d" question!

      When I first learned perl i built my own simple parser which worked
      relatively well, although I was never able to get it to allow certain
      characters like ">". I think I'm ready to upgrade to a module! What I'm
      looking for is a good, versatile, error free parsing module that I can now
      use instead.

      I've never installed a module before, but I'm assuming I can figure out how
      to do it. Can anyone direct me to a good parsing module?

      Thanks!
      Maisha
    • Nathan.Jeffrey@dhs.vic.gov.au
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
        Well, the best place to start looking for modules is CPAN. Try
        http://search.cpan.org/ , which is the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network.
        Very nice search facility.

        For installing modules, if you're on Win32 using Activestate Perl, try the
        "ppm" utility that ships with it.

        If you're on Unix, and have access to a C compiler, try using the CPAN
        module. The magic phrase is "perl -MCPAN -e shell" :-)

        Maisha Walker <maisha@...>
        01/10/2002 09:30 AM
        Please respond to perl-beginner

        To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject: [PBML] parsing

        Hi all,

        Thanks again to everyone who answered my "-d" question!

        When I first learned perl i built my own simple parser which worked
        relatively well, although I was never able to get it to allow certain
        characters like ">". I think I'm ready to upgrade to a module! What I'm
        looking for is a good, versatile, error free parsing module that I can now
        use instead.

        I've never installed a module before, but I'm assuming I can figure out
        how
        to do it. Can anyone direct me to a good parsing module?

        Thanks!
        Maisha

        Unsubscribing info is here:

        This email contains confidential information intended only for the person named above and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or use of this information is prohibited. The Department provides no guarantee that this communication is free of virus or that it has not been intercepted or interfered with. If you have received this email in error or have any other concerns regarding its transmission, please notify Postmaster@...
      • Charles K. Clarkson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002

          :
          : When I first learned perl i built my own simple parser which
          : worked relatively well, although I was never able to get it
          : to allow certain characters like ">". I think I'm ready to
          : upgrade to a module! What I'm looking for is a good,
          : versatile, error free parsing module that I can now use instead.

          To parse what?

          Charles
        • Bryan Irvine
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
            parsing what? usually you can find all the modules you will ever need
            at cpan.org. installing is pretty easy. You look at the type of module.

            ie if the module is called Net::XML to install it you would do

            perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::XML'

            easy as pie...just hit enter for all the questions it asks to use
            default values and you will be "in like flint"

            Bryan Irvine