[PBML] reading a text file

  • silviaza@espm-rio.br
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 1999
      I have created a perl script to read and query a text file. It is very
      simple, but it do not work because it can not find the file!

      I have already put the file in different directories, with different
      permissions but when I test for the existence of the file, the script
      tells me it isn't there.

      Below it's the part of the script that tests for the existence of the
      text file.

      if (-e "/cand2.txt") {
      open (LEITURA, "/cand2.txt");
      } else {
      print "The file /cand2.txt doesn't exist!\n";
      exit;
      }
    • crengifo@reacciun.ve
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 1999
        Hello silviaza!

        Example 1:
        --------------------
        #!/Perl/bin/perl

        # filename: archi.pl
        # open cand.txt file and print it
        # Perl: 5.005_3 built for MSWin32-x86-object (519)
        # OS: Windows 98

        # Tree:
        # Examples (dir)
        # test (subdir)
        # tk (subdir)

        # cand.txt:
        # line 1
        # line 2

        # cand.txt and archi.pl are in test dir

        if (-e "cand.txt") { # if exist
        open (LEITURA, "cand.txt"); # open cand.txt
        while (<LEITURA>) { #
        print $_; # print line into $b file
        }
        close(LEITURA) || die "cannot close $a: $!"; # close the file

        } else {
        print "The file cand.txt doesn't exist!\n";
        exit;
        }
        --------
        Example 2:
        -------
        #!/Perl/bin/perl

        # filename: archi2.pl
        # open cand2.txt file and print it
        # Perl: 5.005_3 built for MSWin32-x86-object (519)
        # OS: Windows 98

        # Tree:
        # Examples (dir)
        # test (subdir)
        # tk (subdir)

        # cand2.txt
        # line 3
        # line 4

        # archi2.pl is in test dir
        # cand2.txt is in tk dir

        if (-e "../tk/cand2.txt") { # if exist
        open (LEITURA, "../tk/cand2.txt"); # open cand2.txt
        while (<LEITURA>) { #
        print $_; # print cand2.txt
        }
        close(LEITURA) || die "cannot close $a: $!"; # close the file

        } else {
        print "The file cand2.txt doesn't exist!\n";
        exit;
        }

        Send reply to: perl-beginner@egroups.com
        Date sent: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:27:24 -0800
        From: silviaza@...
        To: perl-beginner@...
        Subject: [PBML] reading a text file

        > I have created a perl script to read and query a text file. It is very
        > simple, but it do not work because it can not find the file!
        >
        > I have already put the file in different directories, with different
        > permissions but when I test for the existence of the file, the script
        > tells me it isn't there.
        >
        > Below it's the part of the script that tests for the existence of the
        > text file.
        >
        > if (-e "/cand2.txt") {
        > open (LEITURA, "/cand2.txt");
        > } else {
        > print "The file /cand2.txt doesn't exist!\n";
        > exit;

        > et the most popular downloads on the Web. They¹re new!
        > They¹re hot! They’re FREE! Utilities, drivers, games.
        > It’s all here. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1610

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=perl-beginner&m=1

        C Rengifo A.
      • crengifo@reacciun.ve
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 1999
          I´m sorry, but my files archi.pl and archi2.pl
          have an error. Please, write those lines again:

          archi.pl and archi2.pl:

          It says:
          close(LEITURA) || die "cannot close $a: $!"; # close the file

          Should say:
          close(LEITURA) || die "cannot close $!"; # close the file

          In my test file, I had written:
          $a="cand.txt"; (archi.pl) and
          $a="cand2.txt"; (archi2.pl)

          Excuse me, again.