RE: [PBML] Hiding Perl Code

  • Franki
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
      The whole issue of permissions is a bit of a pain.

      With CGI scripts, how and how much you tighten the permissions depends on
      what user account your web server runs as.

      For example, some web servers run as user: "nobody", or "apache" or "www" in
      other words, an account with as few rights access to the server as is
      absolutely necessary.

      Other web servers switch to the user account of the file owner. so if its
      serving .pl scripts from your user www directory, then it can use your
      account to serve them.

      Thats why there is no "absolute" rule to what your ownership and permissions
      should be as it varies on the server setup.

      755 is just a good starting point. basically, start there and work your way
      down.. until you get it as low as it can be and still working. (its a bad
      idea to use 777 as a permission at all unless it doesn't work at all any
      other way. and even then I'd be sus about it.)

      rgds

      Frank

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
        If you are running Apache as your web server engine here is the best way to
        do script permissions. In the "httpd.conf" file setup the "ScriptAlias"
        value to represent were your cgi/perl scripts will run this should be along
        side the "DocumentRoot" directory IE:
        DocumentRoot "/usr/apache/htdocs/
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr/apache/cgi-bin/"

        Then change the owner of the cgi-bin directory to root and the permissions
        to 755 with the following command:
        chown root:other /usr/apache/cgi-bin // change this value to your
        correct directory
        chmod 755 /usr/apache/cgi-bin // put this directory along
        side your document root.

        The above assumes you have root privileges on your web server. If you do
        this will allow people to run your html files from the normal "document"
        directory, which is htdocs and if you reference a script within your html
        document they can call it up via html "Only". For instance they won't be
        able to type a url like this: http://www.your-domain.com/cgi-bin/ This
        will produce an error that they don't have permissions for this area.
        Another words in less they know the exact name of a script they can't view
        the directory. You can also store a simple "index.html" file in there to
        direct them back to your main page in the DocumentRoot directory.

        Rgrds,

        Chuck

        > >one way which I DO is i change my directory access to 0700
        > >where all my perl code resides..
        > >
        > >also i guess there are tools to convert from perl to binary...
        > >
        > >-prak
        >
        >Hmm - Ive always had my prerl scripts set to Chmod 755 (as per the Hosts /
        >websites I use)
        >
        >I thought no-one could access the source-code of the scripts - Ie, As Ive
        >tried before - I always get the "output" that the scripts create - but i
        >couldnt access the source-code..
        >
        >(unless i'm misasing the whole meaning of this topic /question ?)
        >
        >G.

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >
        >Unsubscribing info is here:
        >< http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html>

        >< http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2311215.3726473.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17050069
        51:HM/A=1189560/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/10/>

      • steve.w.ries@mail.sprint.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
          Recently had the same issue/question. perlcc compiles your *.pl into a
          binary executable and is very simple to use. I'm a total perl newbie
          and even I got it on the first try. perlcc is present on many if not
          most UNIX installations - I've found it on our AIX systems as well as
          Linux, although strangly, not on Solaris.

          Furthermore, because I am a gentleman, I will refrain from making any
          clever remarks about your wife and a bed... although a few come to
          mind.. :)

          SR

          From: Will <self_deprecated@...>
          Subject: Hiding Perl Code

          Greets Folks,

          Can anyone tell me how to hide my perl code? I
          usually keep it under the bed, but my wife's catching
          on... and that technique doesnt help much at run
          time...

          Thanks,

          Will
        • Shibu TN
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 12, 2002
            Hi All.
            I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm" files to 755.
            When a user types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
            shows the output of the program. When the user
            types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the source code is
            downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl 4.

            Shibu

          • Nathan.Jeffrey@dhs.vic.gov.au
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 12, 2002
              It sounds to me as though the web server isn't configured correctly, to
              allow the execution of items in the cgi-bin directory. This is by no
              means required, it's just that 99% of web servers are configured that way.

              You might want to have a word to your system administrator, or, if you are
              the system administrator, read the manuals and onfiguration guides that
              came with the webserver.

              Yours,
              Nathan

              "Shibu TN" <tnshibu@...>
              13/09/2002 11:38 AM
              Please respond to perl-beginner

              To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
              cc:

              Hi All.
              I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm" files to 755.
              When a user types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
              shows the output of the program. When the user
              types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the source code is
              downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl 4.

              Shibu

              --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@h...> wrote:
              > You can create a Unix binary or a Windows executable using Dev Perl
              from
              > ActiveState or perl2exe from Indigo.
              > You can also use perlcc but I think you will need a C compiler in
              this case.
              > Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
              > Mail: orasnita@h...

              Unsubscribing info is here:

              This email contains confidential information intended only for the person named above and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or use of this information is prohibited. The Department provides no guarantee that this communication is free of virus or that it has not been intercepted or interfered with. If you have received this email in error or have any other concerns regarding its transmission, please notify Postmaster@...
            • Anthony E.
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                if you're using apache you have to add "ScriptAlias"
                directive and also enable .pl extension for cgi
                scripts.

                http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html#scriptalias

                also, uncomment this line in httpd.conf:

                AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

                --- Shibu TN <tnshibu@...> wrote:
                > Hi All.
                > I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm"
                > files to 755.
                > When a user types
                > "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
                > shows the output of the program. When the user
                > types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the
                > source code is
                > downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl
                > 4.
                >
                > Shibu
                >

                > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Octavian Rasnita"
                > <orasnita@h...> wrote:
                > > You can create a Unix binary or a Windows
                > executable using Dev Perl
                > from
                > > ActiveState or perl2exe from Indigo.
                > > You can also use perlcc but I think you will need
                > a C compiler in
                > this case.
                > > Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
                > > Mail: orasnita@h...

                Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                http://news.yahoo.com
              • Sean Correia
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                  It's a good idea to move your modules outside of your web directory.

                  My modules sit in /my/site/libraries, and the html sits in /my/site/htdocs

                  Cheers,
                  Sean

                  > Hi All.
                  > I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm" files to 755.
                  > When a user types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
                  > shows the output of the program. When the user
                  > types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the source code is
                  > downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl 4.
                  >
                  > Shibu
                • Franki
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                    Hi guys,,

                    I am having no end of trouble getting my cookies to work.. I can set it
                    alright..
                    In mozilla its cookie manager allows me to view the cookie and all its
                    details, and its set perfectly...

                    but I can't seem to retrieve it... it just doesn't seem to work..

                    Here is the subs I am refering to..

                    use CGI::Cookie;
                    use vars("%cookies");

                    sub set_cookie
                    {
                    $expiration = shift;
                    $domain = shift;
                    $path = shift;
                    my $secure = '';
                    my $cookie = new CGI::Cookie(-name => 'admin',
                    -value => 'logged_in',
                    -path => $path,
                    -domain => $domain,
                    -expires => $expiration
                    );
                    print "Content-type: text/html\n";
                    print "Set-Cookie: $cookie\n";
                    }

                    sub get_cookie {
                    %cookies = fetch CGI::Cookie;
                    return %cookies;
                    }

                    I can't figure out why I can't get the cookie.. according to the CGI::Cookie
                    docs, the cookies should be
                    retrieved and put in %cookies, but it doesn't seem to be.
                    is it because I used vars to predeclair the hash???

                    Any ideas guys?

                    many thanks,

                    rgds

                    Franki
                  • Franki
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                      Ignore this one as well, I must have done something wrong when I put it in a
                      sub..

                      took it out and just used this:

                      %cookie = fetch CGI::Cookie;

                      all of a sudden it works..

                      go figure..

                      rgds

                      Frank

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                        you were calling &get_cookie(); right?

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                          I think I left the brackets off the end...

                          it was like %cookie = &get_cookie;

                          do the missing brackets stop it from returning the value???

                          if so then all I can say is DOH !!! :-(

                          rgds

                          Frank

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002