Re: [PBML] Hiding Perl Code

  • Octavian Rasnita
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
      You can create a Unix binary or a Windows executable using Dev Perl from
      ActiveState or perl2exe from Indigo.
      You can also use perlcc but I think you will need a C compiler in this case.
      Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
      Mail: orasnita@...

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
        At 10:09 3/09/02 -0700, you wrote:

        >one way which I DO is i change my directory access to 0700
        >where all my perl code resides..
        >
        >also i guess there are tools to convert from perl to binary...
        >
        >-prak

        Hmm - Ive always had my prerl scripts set to Chmod 755 (as per the Hosts /
        websites I use)

        I thought no-one could access the source-code of the scripts - Ie, As Ive
        tried before - I always get the "output" that the scripts create - but i
        couldnt access the source-code..

        (unless i'm misasing the whole meaning of this topic /question ?)

        G.

      • jake@thegoop.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
          How do you change directory access?

          At 11:05 PM 9/3/2002, you wrote:
          >At 10:09 3/09/02 -0700, you wrote:
          >
          > >one way which I DO is i change my directory access to 0700
          > >where all my perl code resides..
          > >
          > >also i guess there are tools to convert from perl to binary...
          > >
          > >-prak
          >
          >Hmm - Ive always had my prerl scripts set to Chmod 755 (as per the Hosts /
          >websites I use)
          >
          >I thought no-one could access the source-code of the scripts - Ie, As Ive
          >tried before - I always get the "output" that the scripts create - but i
          >couldnt access the source-code..
          >
          >(unless i'm misasing the whole meaning of this topic /question ?)
          >
          >G.

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >
          >Unsubscribing info is here:
          ><http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html>http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html

        • Franki
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
            The whole issue of permissions is a bit of a pain.

            With CGI scripts, how and how much you tighten the permissions depends on
            what user account your web server runs as.

            For example, some web servers run as user: "nobody", or "apache" or "www" in
            other words, an account with as few rights access to the server as is
            absolutely necessary.

            Other web servers switch to the user account of the file owner. so if its
            serving .pl scripts from your user www directory, then it can use your
            account to serve them.

            Thats why there is no "absolute" rule to what your ownership and permissions
            should be as it varies on the server setup.

            755 is just a good starting point. basically, start there and work your way
            down.. until you get it as low as it can be and still working. (its a bad
            idea to use 777 as a permission at all unless it doesn't work at all any
            other way. and even then I'd be sus about it.)

            rgds

            Frank

            > >one way which I DO is i change my directory access to 0700
            > >where all my perl code resides..
            > >
            > >also i guess there are tools to convert from perl to binary...
            > >
            > >-prak
            >
            >Hmm - Ive always had my prerl scripts set to Chmod 755 (as per the Hosts /
            >websites I use)
            >
            >I thought no-one could access the source-code of the scripts - Ie, As Ive
            >tried before - I always get the "output" that the scripts create - but i
            >couldnt access the source-code..
            >
            >(unless i'm misasing the whole meaning of this topic /question ?)
            >
            >G.

            >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            >
            >Unsubscribing info is here:
            ><http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html>http://help.yahoo.com/
            help/us/groups/groups-32.html

            Unsubscribing info is here:

          • Chuck Ouellette
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
              If you are running Apache as your web server engine here is the best way to
              do script permissions. In the "httpd.conf" file setup the "ScriptAlias"
              value to represent were your cgi/perl scripts will run this should be along
              side the "DocumentRoot" directory IE:
              DocumentRoot "/usr/apache/htdocs/
              ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr/apache/cgi-bin/"

              Then change the owner of the cgi-bin directory to root and the permissions
              to 755 with the following command:
              chown root:other /usr/apache/cgi-bin // change this value to your
              correct directory
              chmod 755 /usr/apache/cgi-bin // put this directory along
              side your document root.

              The above assumes you have root privileges on your web server. If you do
              this will allow people to run your html files from the normal "document"
              directory, which is htdocs and if you reference a script within your html
              document they can call it up via html "Only". For instance they won't be
              able to type a url like this: http://www.your-domain.com/cgi-bin/ This
              will produce an error that they don't have permissions for this area.
              Another words in less they know the exact name of a script they can't view
              the directory. You can also store a simple "index.html" file in there to
              direct them back to your main page in the DocumentRoot directory.

              Rgrds,

              Chuck

              > >one way which I DO is i change my directory access to 0700
              > >where all my perl code resides..
              > >
              > >also i guess there are tools to convert from perl to binary...
              > >
              > >-prak
              >
              >Hmm - Ive always had my prerl scripts set to Chmod 755 (as per the Hosts /
              >websites I use)
              >
              >I thought no-one could access the source-code of the scripts - Ie, As Ive
              >tried before - I always get the "output" that the scripts create - but i
              >couldnt access the source-code..
              >
              >(unless i'm misasing the whole meaning of this topic /question ?)
              >
              >G.

              >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              >
              >Unsubscribing info is here:
              >< http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html>

              >< http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2311215.3726473.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17050069
              51:HM/A=1189560/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/10/>

            • steve.w.ries@mail.sprint.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                Recently had the same issue/question. perlcc compiles your *.pl into a
                binary executable and is very simple to use. I'm a total perl newbie
                and even I got it on the first try. perlcc is present on many if not
                most UNIX installations - I've found it on our AIX systems as well as
                Linux, although strangly, not on Solaris.

                Furthermore, because I am a gentleman, I will refrain from making any
                clever remarks about your wife and a bed... although a few come to
                mind.. :)

                SR

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 12, 2002
                  Hi All.
                  I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm" files to 755.
                  When a user types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
                  shows the output of the program. When the user
                  types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the source code is
                  downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl 4.

                  Shibu

                • Nathan.Jeffrey@dhs.vic.gov.au
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 12, 2002
                    It sounds to me as though the web server isn't configured correctly, to
                    allow the execution of items in the cgi-bin directory. This is by no
                    means required, it's just that 99% of web servers are configured that way.

                    You might want to have a word to your system administrator, or, if you are
                    the system administrator, read the manuals and onfiguration guides that
                    came with the webserver.

                    Yours,
                    Nathan

                    "Shibu TN" <tnshibu@...>
                    13/09/2002 11:38 AM
                    Please respond to perl-beginner

                    To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
                    cc:

                    Hi All.
                    I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm" files to 755.
                    When a user types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
                    shows the output of the program. When the user
                    types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the source code is
                    downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl 4.

                    Shibu

                    --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@h...> wrote:
                    > You can create a Unix binary or a Windows executable using Dev Perl
                    from
                    > ActiveState or perl2exe from Indigo.
                    > You can also use perlcc but I think you will need a C compiler in
                    this case.
                    > Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
                    > Mail: orasnita@h...

                    Unsubscribing info is here:

                    This email contains confidential information intended only for the person named above and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or use of this information is prohibited. The Department provides no guarantee that this communication is free of virus or that it has not been intercepted or interfered with. If you have received this email in error or have any other concerns regarding its transmission, please notify Postmaster@...
                  • Anthony E.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                      if you're using apache you have to add "ScriptAlias"
                      directive and also enable .pl extension for cgi
                      scripts.

                      http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html#scriptalias

                      also, uncomment this line in httpd.conf:

                      AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

                      --- Shibu TN <tnshibu@...> wrote:
                      > Hi All.
                      > I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm"
                      > files to 755.
                      > When a user types
                      > "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
                      > shows the output of the program. When the user
                      > types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the
                      > source code is
                      > downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl
                      > 4.
                      >
                      > Shibu
                      >

                      > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Octavian Rasnita"
                      > <orasnita@h...> wrote:
                      > > You can create a Unix binary or a Windows
                      > executable using Dev Perl
                      > from
                      > > ActiveState or perl2exe from Indigo.
                      > > You can also use perlcc but I think you will need
                      > a C compiler in
                      > this case.
                      > > Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
                      > > Mail: orasnita@h...

                      Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                      http://news.yahoo.com
                    • Sean Correia
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                        It's a good idea to move your modules outside of your web directory.

                        My modules sit in /my/site/libraries, and the html sits in /my/site/htdocs

                        Cheers,
                        Sean

                        > Hi All.
                        > I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm" files to 755.
                        > When a user types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
                        > shows the output of the program. When the user
                        > types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the source code is
                        > downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl 4.
                        >
                        > Shibu
                      • Franki
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                          Hi guys,,

                          I am having no end of trouble getting my cookies to work.. I can set it
                          alright..
                          In mozilla its cookie manager allows me to view the cookie and all its
                          details, and its set perfectly...

                          but I can't seem to retrieve it... it just doesn't seem to work..

                          Here is the subs I am refering to..

                          use CGI::Cookie;
                          use vars("%cookies");

                          sub set_cookie
                          {
                          $expiration = shift;
                          $domain = shift;
                          $path = shift;
                          my $secure = '';
                          my $cookie = new CGI::Cookie(-name => 'admin',
                          -value => 'logged_in',
                          -path => $path,
                          -domain => $domain,
                          -expires => $expiration
                          );
                          print "Content-type: text/html\n";
                          print "Set-Cookie: $cookie\n";
                          }

                          sub get_cookie {
                          %cookies = fetch CGI::Cookie;
                          return %cookies;
                          }

                          I can't figure out why I can't get the cookie.. according to the CGI::Cookie
                          docs, the cookies should be
                          retrieved and put in %cookies, but it doesn't seem to be.
                          is it because I used vars to predeclair the hash???

                          Any ideas guys?

                          many thanks,

                          rgds

                          Franki
                        • Franki
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                            Ignore this one as well, I must have done something wrong when I put it in a
                            sub..

                            took it out and just used this:

                            %cookie = fetch CGI::Cookie;

                            all of a sudden it works..

                            go figure..

                            rgds

                            Frank

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                              you were calling &get_cookie(); right?

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                                I think I left the brackets off the end...

                                it was like %cookie = &get_cookie;

                                do the missing brackets stop it from returning the value???

                                if so then all I can say is DOH !!! :-(

                                rgds

                                Frank

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002