Re: [PBML] Hiding Perl Code

  • SykkN
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
      For real this time .... Have you considered perlcc'ing it into bytecode?

      I can't give you details on it, but I thought it might give you a starting
      point.

      SykkN
      talk: sykkn@...
      visit: http://www.linuxforums.org

      > Put it in a ZipLock baggy and then duct tape it to the underside of your
      > toilet's tank lid. Your wife will never think to look there.
      >

      > > Greets Folks,
      > >
      > > Can anyone tell me how to hide my perl code? I
      > > usually keep it under the bed, but my wife's catching
      > > on... and that technique doesnt help much at run
      > > time...
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Will
    • Will
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
        I'm not sure of what you mean, but there are some
        modules I heard about that help to protect perl
        code... I'm not sure what they are, but I have seen
        the way they work. If I read it correctly, then after
        you download a webpage and check "view source"... you
        cant even see the HTML... I saw it done once for a
        site under development (cause the developers wanted to
        protect their code), but I was never able to figure
        out how they did it...

        Thanks,

        Will

        --- SykkN <sykkn@...> wrote:
        > For real this time .... Have you considered
        > perlcc'ing it into bytecode?
        >
        > I can't give you details on it, but I thought it
        > might give you a starting
        > point.
        >
        > SykkN
        > talk: sykkn@...
        > visit: http://www.linuxforums.org
        >

        > > Put it in a ZipLock baggy and then duct tape it to
        > the underside of your
        > > toilet's tank lid. Your wife will never think to
        > look there.
        > >

        > > > Greets Folks,
        > > >
        > > > Can anyone tell me how to hide my perl code? I
        > > > usually keep it under the bed, but my wife's
        > catching
        > > > on... and that technique doesnt help much at
        > run
        > > > time...
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > >
        > > > Will

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • Octavian Rasnita
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
          You can create a Unix binary or a Windows executable using Dev Perl from
          ActiveState or perl2exe from Indigo.
          You can also use perlcc but I think you will need a C compiler in this case.
          Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
          Mail: orasnita@...

          > Can anyone tell me how to hide my perl code? I
          > usually keep it under the bed, but my wife's catching
          > on... and that technique doesnt help much at run
          > time...
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Will

        • Gordon Stewart
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
            At 10:09 3/09/02 -0700, you wrote:

            >one way which I DO is i change my directory access to 0700
            >where all my perl code resides..
            >
            >also i guess there are tools to convert from perl to binary...
            >
            >-prak

            Hmm - Ive always had my prerl scripts set to Chmod 755 (as per the Hosts /
            websites I use)

            I thought no-one could access the source-code of the scripts - Ie, As Ive
            tried before - I always get the "output" that the scripts create - but i
            couldnt access the source-code..

            (unless i'm misasing the whole meaning of this topic /question ?)

            G.

          • jake@thegoop.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
              How do you change directory access?

              At 11:05 PM 9/3/2002, you wrote:
              >At 10:09 3/09/02 -0700, you wrote:
              >
              > >one way which I DO is i change my directory access to 0700
              > >where all my perl code resides..
              > >
              > >also i guess there are tools to convert from perl to binary...
              > >
              > >-prak
              >
              >Hmm - Ive always had my prerl scripts set to Chmod 755 (as per the Hosts /
              >websites I use)
              >
              >I thought no-one could access the source-code of the scripts - Ie, As Ive
              >tried before - I always get the "output" that the scripts create - but i
              >couldnt access the source-code..
              >
              >(unless i'm misasing the whole meaning of this topic /question ?)
              >
              >G.

              >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              >
              >Unsubscribing info is here:
              ><http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html>http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html

            • Franki
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
                The whole issue of permissions is a bit of a pain.

                With CGI scripts, how and how much you tighten the permissions depends on
                what user account your web server runs as.

                For example, some web servers run as user: "nobody", or "apache" or "www" in
                other words, an account with as few rights access to the server as is
                absolutely necessary.

                Other web servers switch to the user account of the file owner. so if its
                serving .pl scripts from your user www directory, then it can use your
                account to serve them.

                Thats why there is no "absolute" rule to what your ownership and permissions
                should be as it varies on the server setup.

                755 is just a good starting point. basically, start there and work your way
                down.. until you get it as low as it can be and still working. (its a bad
                idea to use 777 as a permission at all unless it doesn't work at all any
                other way. and even then I'd be sus about it.)

                rgds

                Frank

                > >one way which I DO is i change my directory access to 0700
                > >where all my perl code resides..
                > >
                > >also i guess there are tools to convert from perl to binary...
                > >
                > >-prak
                >
                >Hmm - Ive always had my prerl scripts set to Chmod 755 (as per the Hosts /
                >websites I use)
                >
                >I thought no-one could access the source-code of the scripts - Ie, As Ive
                >tried before - I always get the "output" that the scripts create - but i
                >couldnt access the source-code..
                >
                >(unless i'm misasing the whole meaning of this topic /question ?)
                >
                >G.

                >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                >
                >Unsubscribing info is here:
                ><http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html>http://help.yahoo.com/
                help/us/groups/groups-32.html

                Unsubscribing info is here:

              • Chuck Ouellette
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                  If you are running Apache as your web server engine here is the best way to
                  do script permissions. In the "httpd.conf" file setup the "ScriptAlias"
                  value to represent were your cgi/perl scripts will run this should be along
                  side the "DocumentRoot" directory IE:
                  DocumentRoot "/usr/apache/htdocs/
                  ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr/apache/cgi-bin/"

                  Then change the owner of the cgi-bin directory to root and the permissions
                  to 755 with the following command:
                  chown root:other /usr/apache/cgi-bin // change this value to your
                  correct directory
                  chmod 755 /usr/apache/cgi-bin // put this directory along
                  side your document root.

                  The above assumes you have root privileges on your web server. If you do
                  this will allow people to run your html files from the normal "document"
                  directory, which is htdocs and if you reference a script within your html
                  document they can call it up via html "Only". For instance they won't be
                  able to type a url like this: http://www.your-domain.com/cgi-bin/ This
                  will produce an error that they don't have permissions for this area.
                  Another words in less they know the exact name of a script they can't view
                  the directory. You can also store a simple "index.html" file in there to
                  direct them back to your main page in the DocumentRoot directory.

                  Rgrds,

                  Chuck

                  > >one way which I DO is i change my directory access to 0700
                  > >where all my perl code resides..
                  > >
                  > >also i guess there are tools to convert from perl to binary...
                  > >
                  > >-prak
                  >
                  >Hmm - Ive always had my prerl scripts set to Chmod 755 (as per the Hosts /
                  >websites I use)
                  >
                  >I thought no-one could access the source-code of the scripts - Ie, As Ive
                  >tried before - I always get the "output" that the scripts create - but i
                  >couldnt access the source-code..
                  >
                  >(unless i'm misasing the whole meaning of this topic /question ?)
                  >
                  >G.

                  >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >
                  >Unsubscribing info is here:
                  >< http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html>

                  >< http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2311215.3726473.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17050069
                  51:HM/A=1189560/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/10/>

                • steve.w.ries@mail.sprint.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                    Recently had the same issue/question. perlcc compiles your *.pl into a
                    binary executable and is very simple to use. I'm a total perl newbie
                    and even I got it on the first try. perlcc is present on many if not
                    most UNIX installations - I've found it on our AIX systems as well as
                    Linux, although strangly, not on Solaris.

                    Furthermore, because I am a gentleman, I will refrain from making any
                    clever remarks about your wife and a bed... although a few come to
                    mind.. :)

                    SR

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 12, 2002
                      Hi All.
                      I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm" files to 755.
                      When a user types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
                      shows the output of the program. When the user
                      types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the source code is
                      downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl 4.

                      Shibu

                    • Nathan.Jeffrey@dhs.vic.gov.au
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 12, 2002
                        It sounds to me as though the web server isn't configured correctly, to
                        allow the execution of items in the cgi-bin directory. This is by no
                        means required, it's just that 99% of web servers are configured that way.

                        You might want to have a word to your system administrator, or, if you are
                        the system administrator, read the manuals and onfiguration guides that
                        came with the webserver.

                        Yours,
                        Nathan

                        "Shibu TN" <tnshibu@...>
                        13/09/2002 11:38 AM
                        Please respond to perl-beginner

                        To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
                        cc:

                        Hi All.
                        I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm" files to 755.
                        When a user types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
                        shows the output of the program. When the user
                        types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the source code is
                        downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl 4.

                        Shibu

                        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@h...> wrote:
                        > You can create a Unix binary or a Windows executable using Dev Perl
                        from
                        > ActiveState or perl2exe from Indigo.
                        > You can also use perlcc but I think you will need a C compiler in
                        this case.
                        > Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
                        > Mail: orasnita@h...

                        Unsubscribing info is here:

                        This email contains confidential information intended only for the person named above and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or use of this information is prohibited. The Department provides no guarantee that this communication is free of virus or that it has not been intercepted or interfered with. If you have received this email in error or have any other concerns regarding its transmission, please notify Postmaster@...
                      • Anthony E.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                          if you're using apache you have to add "ScriptAlias"
                          directive and also enable .pl extension for cgi
                          scripts.

                          http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html#scriptalias

                          also, uncomment this line in httpd.conf:

                          AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

                          --- Shibu TN <tnshibu@...> wrote:
                          > Hi All.
                          > I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm"
                          > files to 755.
                          > When a user types
                          > "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
                          > shows the output of the program. When the user
                          > types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the
                          > source code is
                          > downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl
                          > 4.
                          >
                          > Shibu
                          >

                          > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Octavian Rasnita"
                          > <orasnita@h...> wrote:
                          > > You can create a Unix binary or a Windows
                          > executable using Dev Perl
                          > from
                          > > ActiveState or perl2exe from Indigo.
                          > > You can also use perlcc but I think you will need
                          > a C compiler in
                          > this case.
                          > > Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
                          > > Mail: orasnita@h...

                          Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                          http://news.yahoo.com
                        • Sean Correia
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                            It's a good idea to move your modules outside of your web directory.

                            My modules sit in /my/site/libraries, and the html sits in /my/site/htdocs

                            Cheers,
                            Sean

                            > Hi All.
                            > I have set the permissions of my "pl" files and "pm" files to 755.
                            > When a user types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.pl" then it
                            > shows the output of the program. When the user
                            > types "http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/module.pm" the source code is
                            > downloaded. How can I avoid this? I am using perl 4.
                            >
                            > Shibu
                          • Franki
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                              Hi guys,,

                              I am having no end of trouble getting my cookies to work.. I can set it
                              alright..
                              In mozilla its cookie manager allows me to view the cookie and all its
                              details, and its set perfectly...

                              but I can't seem to retrieve it... it just doesn't seem to work..

                              Here is the subs I am refering to..

                              use CGI::Cookie;
                              use vars("%cookies");

                              sub set_cookie
                              {
                              $expiration = shift;
                              $domain = shift;
                              $path = shift;
                              my $secure = '';
                              my $cookie = new CGI::Cookie(-name => 'admin',
                              -value => 'logged_in',
                              -path => $path,
                              -domain => $domain,
                              -expires => $expiration
                              );
                              print "Content-type: text/html\n";
                              print "Set-Cookie: $cookie\n";
                              }

                              sub get_cookie {
                              %cookies = fetch CGI::Cookie;
                              return %cookies;
                              }

                              I can't figure out why I can't get the cookie.. according to the CGI::Cookie
                              docs, the cookies should be
                              retrieved and put in %cookies, but it doesn't seem to be.
                              is it because I used vars to predeclair the hash???

                              Any ideas guys?

                              many thanks,

                              rgds

                              Franki
                            • Franki
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                                Ignore this one as well, I must have done something wrong when I put it in a
                                sub..

                                took it out and just used this:

                                %cookie = fetch CGI::Cookie;

                                all of a sudden it works..

                                go figure..

                                rgds

                                Frank

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                                  you were calling &get_cookie(); right?

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002
                                    I think I left the brackets off the end...

                                    it was like %cookie = &get_cookie;

                                    do the missing brackets stop it from returning the value???

                                    if so then all I can say is DOH !!! :-(

                                    rgds

                                    Frank

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 13, 2002