urgent help in perl database

  • Krishnakant
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hello,
      I am back to bother you all again. I need to develop a database based web site with perl cgi. I know quite a bit of cgi but I dont know much about perl and dbi. I want to know firstly how do I connect to a database under windows platform. And if odbc is the answer can I use odbc under linux as well?
      What amount of expertise I need to do database programming with perl. Do I need to be an expert in things like references and hashes. I am quite good at hashes but I only used pointers in c and c++.
      Secondly please help me out with step by step procedure to connect to an access .mdb database with perl. Again if it can be done through odbc then I suppose I can also build a connection to mysql and oracle as well! And lastly I want to know as to how I open record sets and move to the next,previous,first and last record of data in the dataset or record set.
      Thanks,
      Krishnakant.
      Sify Mail - now with Anti-virus protection powered by Trend Micro, USA.
      Know more at http://mail.sify.com

      Want to get into IIM? Take the Sify Mock CAT now!
      http://education.sify.com/mockcat
    • krishnakumarjayaraman
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2002
        --- In perl-beginner@y..., Jason Waugh <jwaugh26@r...> wrote:
        > Hi Venkata,
        >
        > VSBS> I would like to know the same regarding the sybase database
        > VSBS> is there any package/module/library is currently avalible for
        dbd and dbi..
        > VSBS> adivse me on that

        Have you looked at SYBPERL from michael peppler ?
      • Gordon Stewart
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2002
          Hi - I've got a WORKING script .. Ive transferred/copid it over to a new
          directory (for testing/modifying)

          I have NOT altered this section / sub - However I'm getting this error
          message :-

          --------------------
          Can't localize lexical variable @rawCookies at
          /www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test1/view.cgi line 1070.
          --------------------

          The sub is one that is used by some other systems - a known (sort of) script :-

          sub getCookies {
          # cookies are seperated by a semicolon and a space, this will split
          # them and return a hash of cookies
          local(@rawCookies) = split (/; /,$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'});
          local(%cookies);

          foreach(@rawCookies){
          ($key, $val) = split (/=/,$_);
          $cookies{$key} = $val;
          }

          return %cookies;
          }

          anyway the trouble is with the 'local' parts - Which work on my other script.

          any ideas on how to localise / Fix this - I cant remember what that term means

          G.

        • Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2002
            On Sep 4, Gordon Stewart said:

            >--------------------
            >Can't localize lexical variable @rawCookies at
            >/www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test1/view.cgi line 1070.
            >--------------------

            That means that somewhere else in the code, you have

            my @rawCookies

            which makes @rawCookies a LEXICAL variable. Because it's lexical, you
            can't local()-ize it.

            But you shouldn't be using local(). Change your local()s to my()s. There
            are only a few instances where local() is important, and you'll probably
            never run into them.

            >sub getCookies {
            > # cookies are seperated by a semicolon and a space, this will split
            > # them and return a hash of cookies
            > local(@rawCookies) = split (/; /,$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'});
            > local(%cookies);
            >
            > foreach(@rawCookies){
            > ($key, $val) = split (/=/,$_);
            > $cookies{$key} = $val;
            > }
            >
            > return %cookies;
            >}

            You might want to consider using a module such as CGI::Cookie to work with
            cookies.