Re: [PBML] universe database and perl.

  • Jason Waugh
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi Venkata,

      VSBS> I would like to know the same regarding the sybase database
      VSBS> is there any package/module/library is currently avalible for dbd and dbi..
      VSBS> adivse me on that

      Try http://search.cpan.org and search for (oddly enough) Sybase.

      --
      Regards,
      Jason Waugh
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2002
        Hello,
        I am back to bother you all again. I need to develop a database based web site with perl cgi. I know quite a bit of cgi but I dont know much about perl and dbi. I want to know firstly how do I connect to a database under windows platform. And if odbc is the answer can I use odbc under linux as well?
        What amount of expertise I need to do database programming with perl. Do I need to be an expert in things like references and hashes. I am quite good at hashes but I only used pointers in c and c++.
        Secondly please help me out with step by step procedure to connect to an access .mdb database with perl. Again if it can be done through odbc then I suppose I can also build a connection to mysql and oracle as well! And lastly I want to know as to how I open record sets and move to the next,previous,first and last record of data in the dataset or record set.
        Thanks,
        Krishnakant.
        Sify Mail - now with Anti-virus protection powered by Trend Micro, USA.
        Know more at http://mail.sify.com

        Want to get into IIM? Take the Sify Mock CAT now!
        http://education.sify.com/mockcat
      • krishnakumarjayaraman
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2002
          --- In perl-beginner@y..., Jason Waugh <jwaugh26@r...> wrote:
          > Hi Venkata,
          >
          > VSBS> I would like to know the same regarding the sybase database
          > VSBS> is there any package/module/library is currently avalible for
          dbd and dbi..
          > VSBS> adivse me on that

          Have you looked at SYBPERL from michael peppler ?
        • Gordon Stewart
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2002
            Hi - I've got a WORKING script .. Ive transferred/copid it over to a new
            directory (for testing/modifying)

            I have NOT altered this section / sub - However I'm getting this error
            message :-

            --------------------
            Can't localize lexical variable @rawCookies at
            /www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test1/view.cgi line 1070.
            --------------------

            The sub is one that is used by some other systems - a known (sort of) script :-

            sub getCookies {
            # cookies are seperated by a semicolon and a space, this will split
            # them and return a hash of cookies
            local(@rawCookies) = split (/; /,$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'});
            local(%cookies);

            foreach(@rawCookies){
            ($key, $val) = split (/=/,$_);
            $cookies{$key} = $val;
            }

            return %cookies;
            }

            anyway the trouble is with the 'local' parts - Which work on my other script.

            any ideas on how to localise / Fix this - I cant remember what that term means

            G.

          • Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2002
              On Sep 4, Gordon Stewart said:

              >--------------------
              >Can't localize lexical variable @rawCookies at
              >/www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test1/view.cgi line 1070.
              >--------------------

              That means that somewhere else in the code, you have

              my @rawCookies

              which makes @rawCookies a LEXICAL variable. Because it's lexical, you
              can't local()-ize it.

              But you shouldn't be using local(). Change your local()s to my()s. There
              are only a few instances where local() is important, and you'll probably
              never run into them.

              >sub getCookies {
              > # cookies are seperated by a semicolon and a space, this will split
              > # them and return a hash of cookies
              > local(@rawCookies) = split (/; /,$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'});
              > local(%cookies);
              >
              > foreach(@rawCookies){
              > ($key, $val) = split (/=/,$_);
              > $cookies{$key} = $val;
              > }
              >
              > return %cookies;
              >}

              You might want to consider using a module such as CGI::Cookie to work with
              cookies.