RE: [PBML] universe database and perl.

  • Venkata Suresh Babu (STP)
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi Jason Waugh,
      I would like to know the same regarding the sybase database
      is there any package/module/library is currently avalible for dbd and dbi..
      adivse me on that
      cheers
      venkat

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hi Venkata,

        VSBS> I would like to know the same regarding the sybase database
        VSBS> is there any package/module/library is currently avalible for dbd and dbi..
        VSBS> adivse me on that

        Try http://search.cpan.org and search for (oddly enough) Sybase.

        --
        Regards,
        Jason Waugh
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2002
          Hello,
          I am back to bother you all again. I need to develop a database based web site with perl cgi. I know quite a bit of cgi but I dont know much about perl and dbi. I want to know firstly how do I connect to a database under windows platform. And if odbc is the answer can I use odbc under linux as well?
          What amount of expertise I need to do database programming with perl. Do I need to be an expert in things like references and hashes. I am quite good at hashes but I only used pointers in c and c++.
          Secondly please help me out with step by step procedure to connect to an access .mdb database with perl. Again if it can be done through odbc then I suppose I can also build a connection to mysql and oracle as well! And lastly I want to know as to how I open record sets and move to the next,previous,first and last record of data in the dataset or record set.
          Thanks,
          Krishnakant.
          Sify Mail - now with Anti-virus protection powered by Trend Micro, USA.
          Know more at http://mail.sify.com

          Want to get into IIM? Take the Sify Mock CAT now!
          http://education.sify.com/mockcat
        • krishnakumarjayaraman
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2002
            --- In perl-beginner@y..., Jason Waugh <jwaugh26@r...> wrote:
            > Hi Venkata,
            >
            > VSBS> I would like to know the same regarding the sybase database
            > VSBS> is there any package/module/library is currently avalible for
            dbd and dbi..
            > VSBS> adivse me on that

            Have you looked at SYBPERL from michael peppler ?
          • Gordon Stewart
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2002
              Hi - I've got a WORKING script .. Ive transferred/copid it over to a new
              directory (for testing/modifying)

              I have NOT altered this section / sub - However I'm getting this error
              message :-

              --------------------
              Can't localize lexical variable @rawCookies at
              /www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test1/view.cgi line 1070.
              --------------------

              The sub is one that is used by some other systems - a known (sort of) script :-

              sub getCookies {
              # cookies are seperated by a semicolon and a space, this will split
              # them and return a hash of cookies
              local(@rawCookies) = split (/; /,$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'});
              local(%cookies);

              foreach(@rawCookies){
              ($key, $val) = split (/=/,$_);
              $cookies{$key} = $val;
              }

              return %cookies;
              }

              anyway the trouble is with the 'local' parts - Which work on my other script.

              any ideas on how to localise / Fix this - I cant remember what that term means

              G.

            • Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 3, 2002
                On Sep 4, Gordon Stewart said:

                >--------------------
                >Can't localize lexical variable @rawCookies at
                >/www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test1/view.cgi line 1070.
                >--------------------

                That means that somewhere else in the code, you have

                my @rawCookies

                which makes @rawCookies a LEXICAL variable. Because it's lexical, you
                can't local()-ize it.

                But you shouldn't be using local(). Change your local()s to my()s. There
                are only a few instances where local() is important, and you'll probably
                never run into them.

                >sub getCookies {
                > # cookies are seperated by a semicolon and a space, this will split
                > # them and return a hash of cookies
                > local(@rawCookies) = split (/; /,$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'});
                > local(%cookies);
                >
                > foreach(@rawCookies){
                > ($key, $val) = split (/=/,$_);
                > $cookies{$key} = $val;
                > }
                >
                > return %cookies;
                >}

                You might want to consider using a module such as CGI::Cookie to work with
                cookies.