Re: [PBML] universe database and perl.

  • Jason Waugh
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi Franki,

      F> I have yet to find out what specifics I will lose by using DBI (since
      F> universe is predominantly NOT an SQL DB, though it has a SQL addon.) but its
      F> better then using system calls or something or using their native C or Java
      F> interfaces.

      UniVerse is fully ANSI SQL compliant, so there should be no problem
      there. As well, there is an ODBC driver for the database if one must
      choose that route.

      UniVerse is a brand new product for IBM - only a matter of time before
      there is a DBD::UniVerse, I'm sure (perhaps just rename the Informix
      one?)

      F> I couldn't believe that IBM make no refference to DBI at all, they support
      F> JAVA and C, and even COBOL, but not perl..(even though someone else did the
      F> work for them.) I guess they figure universe is for large enterprise and
      F> that large enterprise don't use perl for anything more then basic system
      F> stuff.

      IBM makes lots of reference to Perl at their site. In fact, they tell
      you how to use the DBI to access their main database product - DB2
      Universal Database - here: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/db2/perl/

      --
      Regards,
      Jason Waugh
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hi Jason Waugh,
        I would like to know the same regarding the sybase database
        is there any package/module/library is currently avalible for dbd and dbi..
        adivse me on that
        cheers
        venkat

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
          Hi Venkata,

          VSBS> I would like to know the same regarding the sybase database
          VSBS> is there any package/module/library is currently avalible for dbd and dbi..
          VSBS> adivse me on that

          Try http://search.cpan.org and search for (oddly enough) Sybase.

          --
          Regards,
          Jason Waugh
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2002
            Hello,
            I am back to bother you all again. I need to develop a database based web site with perl cgi. I know quite a bit of cgi but I dont know much about perl and dbi. I want to know firstly how do I connect to a database under windows platform. And if odbc is the answer can I use odbc under linux as well?
            What amount of expertise I need to do database programming with perl. Do I need to be an expert in things like references and hashes. I am quite good at hashes but I only used pointers in c and c++.
            Secondly please help me out with step by step procedure to connect to an access .mdb database with perl. Again if it can be done through odbc then I suppose I can also build a connection to mysql and oracle as well! And lastly I want to know as to how I open record sets and move to the next,previous,first and last record of data in the dataset or record set.
            Thanks,
            Krishnakant.
            Sify Mail - now with Anti-virus protection powered by Trend Micro, USA.
            Know more at http://mail.sify.com

            Want to get into IIM? Take the Sify Mock CAT now!
            http://education.sify.com/mockcat
          • krishnakumarjayaraman
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2002
              --- In perl-beginner@y..., Jason Waugh <jwaugh26@r...> wrote:
              > Hi Venkata,
              >
              > VSBS> I would like to know the same regarding the sybase database
              > VSBS> is there any package/module/library is currently avalible for
              dbd and dbi..
              > VSBS> adivse me on that

              Have you looked at SYBPERL from michael peppler ?
            • Gordon Stewart
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 3, 2002
                Hi - I've got a WORKING script .. Ive transferred/copid it over to a new
                directory (for testing/modifying)

                I have NOT altered this section / sub - However I'm getting this error
                message :-

                --------------------
                Can't localize lexical variable @rawCookies at
                /www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test1/view.cgi line 1070.
                --------------------

                The sub is one that is used by some other systems - a known (sort of) script :-

                sub getCookies {
                # cookies are seperated by a semicolon and a space, this will split
                # them and return a hash of cookies
                local(@rawCookies) = split (/; /,$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'});
                local(%cookies);

                foreach(@rawCookies){
                ($key, $val) = split (/=/,$_);
                $cookies{$key} = $val;
                }

                return %cookies;
                }

                anyway the trouble is with the 'local' parts - Which work on my other script.

                any ideas on how to localise / Fix this - I cant remember what that term means

                G.

              • Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 3, 2002
                  On Sep 4, Gordon Stewart said:

                  >--------------------
                  >Can't localize lexical variable @rawCookies at
                  >/www/g/gorstew/cgi-bin/test1/view.cgi line 1070.
                  >--------------------

                  That means that somewhere else in the code, you have

                  my @rawCookies

                  which makes @rawCookies a LEXICAL variable. Because it's lexical, you
                  can't local()-ize it.

                  But you shouldn't be using local(). Change your local()s to my()s. There
                  are only a few instances where local() is important, and you'll probably
                  never run into them.

                  >sub getCookies {
                  > # cookies are seperated by a semicolon and a space, this will split
                  > # them and return a hash of cookies
                  > local(@rawCookies) = split (/; /,$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'});
                  > local(%cookies);
                  >
                  > foreach(@rawCookies){
                  > ($key, $val) = split (/=/,$_);
                  > $cookies{$key} = $val;
                  > }
                  >
                  > return %cookies;
                  >}

                  You might want to consider using a module such as CGI::Cookie to work with
                  cookies.