a perl search question

  • Chuck Ouellette
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi group,

      I have a quick question. I have seen many sites that incorporate image files
      such as maps that they use to allow you to search a region with. How can I
      pass a value to perl using an image? (all examples of this that I have seen
      done are in ASP and not perl). Here is an example of the line in an html
      document:
      <area shape="poly"
      coords="251,15,253,42,258,47,305,48,303,63,260,63,280,102,212,103,212,22,219
      ,24,220,33,226,33,227,21,224,13,231,11,250,16" href="some_resultsne.asp"
      alt="NorthEast" title="NorthEast" target="main">

      In the above example I have a database that has the information in it and my
      perl script will search it just fine if I manually put in “northeast” how do
      I pass that value from the line shown above and call up the perl script? Do
      I use the “href” field to call the script? And were, or what tags to I
      include to pass the info? IE: do I continue to use “alt” and “title”. Any
      help would be appreciated.

      Rgds,

      Chuck Ouellette

    • b_harnish
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2002
        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Chuck Ouellette" <chuck@w...> wrote:
        > Hi group,
        >
        > I have a quick question. I have seen many sites that incorporate image files
        > such as maps that they use to allow you to search a region with. How can I
        > pass a value to perl using an image? (all examples of this that I have seen
        > done are in ASP and not perl). Here is an example of the line in an html
        > document:
        > <area shape="poly"
        > coords="251,15,253,42,258,47,305,48,303,63,260,63,280,102,212,103,212,22,219
        > ,24,220,33,226,33,227,21,224,13,231,11,250,16" href="some_resultsne.asp"
        > alt="NorthEast" title="NorthEast" target="main">
        >
        > In the above example I have a database that has the information in it and my
        > perl script will search it just fine if I manually put in "northeast" how do
        > I pass that value from the line shown above and call up the perl script? Do
        > I use the "href" field to call the script? And were, or what tags to I
        > include to pass the info? IE: do I continue to use "alt" and "title". Any
        > help would be appreciated.

        When you click on an area inside the defined (above) polygon, the web browser will goto the url in the href attribute ("some_resultsne.asp"). What you may want to do is have a href="some-resultsne.pl" that calls your application passing "Northeast", or have a href="mydbapp.pl?Where=NorthEast".

        - Brian
      • Chuck Ouellette
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2002
          I'll try that thank you for you response.

          Chuck

          > I have a quick question. I have seen many sites that incorporate image
          files
          > such as maps that they use to allow you to search a region with. How can
          > pass a value to perl using an image? (all examples of this that I have
          seen
          > done are in ASP and not perl). Here is an example of the line in an html
          > document:
          > <area shape="poly"

          coords="251,15,253,42,258,47,305,48,303,63,260,63,280,102,212,103,212,22,219
          > ,24,220,33,226,33,227,21,224,13,231,11,250,16" href="some_resultsne.asp"
          > alt="NorthEast" title="NorthEast" target="main">
          >
          > In the above example I have a database that has the information in it and
          my
          > perl script will search it just fine if I manually put in "northeast" how
          do
          > I pass that value from the line shown above and call up the perl script?
          Do
          > I use the "href" field to call the script? And were, or what tags to I
          > include to pass the info? IE: do I continue to use "alt" and "title".
          Any
          > help would be appreciated.

          When you click on an area inside the defined (above) polygon, the web
          browser will goto the url in the href attribute ("some_resultsne.asp"). What
          you may want to do is have a href="some-resultsne.pl" that calls your
          application passing "Northeast", or have a
          href="mydbapp.pl?Where=NorthEast".

          - Brian

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=232673.2303527.3721118.2225243/D=egroupweb/S=17050069