RE: [PBML] LWP module, saving file as one continious line..

  • Wright, William
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
      if you have the result document in a single variable then try just using a
      substitution match to replace all the \n's with something else

      e.g.

      $lwp_results =~ s/\n/ /g; # replaces all the newlines with spaces
      or
      $lwp_results =~ tr/\n/ /; # different way of saying the same...

      my 0.02 cents..

      Bill

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
        its not a variable,

        $file is a designation of a real file... like so:

        my $file = 'D:/Inetpub/Scripts/fetchtest/images/url.txt';

        so that won't work... (wish it was that easy :-)

        I'm looking at something like this right now unless someone has a more
        effiient idea...

        my $line;
        open FILE, "< $file"
        or die "Can't open receipt page html file: $!\n";
        foreach my $Single_line (<FILE>){
        chomp $Single_line;
        $line .= $Single_line;
        }
        print FILE $line;
        close (FILE);

        I think that would work....

        any other ideas????

        regards

        Franki

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
          Yea that would work if you wanted to eliminate the loop try..

          undef $/; # enable "slurp" mode
          $file = <FILE>; # whole file now here
          $file =~ s/\n/ /g; # now strip out the new line characters...
          # or use '$file =~ tr/\n/ /;' whichever is
          your fancy...

          http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlvar.html and look for '$/'

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
            cool,

            thanks for that.... any idea which is more efficient??? (I mean faster, ram
            usage is of no concern, we have heaps of ram)

            rgds

            Frank

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
              I'd suspect the one with less lines of code is faster but its probally
              better to benchmark the options.

              see 'perldoc Benchmark' for info on how to measure the 2 approaches..

              Bill

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
                I was curious ....

                # ----- code -------
                use Benchmark;
                my $count = 1000;
                timethese($count, {
                'loop' => 'open F, "tst_file.txt"; while (<F>) { $line.=$_ } close F;',
                'slurp' => 'undef $/; open F, "tst_file.txt"; $line = <F>; close F;',
                });
                # ----- cut ------

                # output
                Benchmark: timing 1000 iterations of loop, slurp...
                loop: 3 wallclock secs ( 2.06 usr + 0.58 sys = 2.64 CPU) @ 378.64/s
                (n=1000)
                slurp: 0 wallclock secs ( 0.19 usr + 0.41 sys = 0.59 CPU) @
                1683.50/s (n=1000)

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
                  so the slurp kicks butt... cool stuff...

                  thankyou..

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
                    Hi again....

                    so I got my html saved as one big long line..

                    now I want to extract any image url's into an array so I can use a foreach
                    on it to retrieve them..

                    but I am completely lost on how to do that..

                    I thought a foreach based on a regex would work, but after 4 hours of
                    seaching the web and trying stuff, I've gotten nowhere.. I can get the first
                    image, but thats it...

                    If I have a big string, and I want to get all instances of a image url in
                    that string into an array,

                    how would I go about it?

                    any tips?

                    is there a standard module that can help me here???

                    rgds

                    Frank
                  • Jenda Krynicky
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
                      From: "franki" <frankieh@...>
                      > so I got my html saved as one big long line..
                      >
                      > now I want to extract any image url's into an array so I can use a
                      > foreach on it to retrieve them..
                      >
                      > but I am completely lost on how to do that..
                      >
                      > I thought a foreach based on a regex would work, but after 4 hours of
                      > seaching the web and trying stuff, I've gotten nowhere.. I can get the
                      > first image, but thats it...

                      perldoc HTML::Parser

                      Jenda
                      =========== Jenda@... == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==========
                      It's just that in the mess on my table ... and in my brain
                      I can't find it.
                      --- me
                    • frankie
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
                        Thankyou Jenda and Jeff, at least I have some stuff to research now..

                        I did fine the getimage module..

                        http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=HTTP-GetImages

                        but it doesn't appear to be very popular, as there is precious little
                        documentation on the net about it...

                        Thanks heaps guys, really really appreciated..

                        rgds

                        Frank