Re: [PBML] LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment problem

  • Jeff Eggen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
      JE> effect. My webserver runs as user nobody, plus it won't source setup
      JE> files so I can't set it for the user globally.

      >Hi Jeff,

      >Why don't you just add to their shell rc file?

      Sorry, I guess I should have explained that sentence of mine above a little better. I can't just add it to the shell rc file because:

      1. User nobody on a unix system has no shell. As he has no shell, he has no shell rc files. Changing this presents security issues.
      2. Even if he did have a shell, the userid is being used in a context that doesn't take rc files into account, as there's no shell attached to the webserver. The init process, like cron, doesn't take environment into account when running scripts / programs.

      So, now you can see the bind I'm in. Well, make that 'was in', as this morning everything seems to be working fine!! I must have a hidden gremlin in the system (read: someone who doesn't believe in change control).

      Thanks for your help, though, and sorry to waste your time.

      Jeff Eggen
      IT Programmer Analyst
      Saskatchewan Government Insurance
      Ph (306) 751-1795
      email jeggen@...
      "The best way to accelerate a Win9x machine is at 9.81m/s2."