Re: [PBML] hashes in C

  • Dragon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6 6:46 AM
      --- ramprasad_ap <ramprasad@...> wrote:
      > Hello All
      > I have been programming for more than 2 years now
      > . I now need to
      > convert one of my codes to C. I am an absolute
      > beginner and I just
      > want to know how to implement hashes in C.

      Depends... a hash of what type of variables?

      Unlike Perl, C requires you to define a type of data
      to be stored in a variable.

      Basically, you're probably looking at setting up a
      two-dimensional array. Instead of being able to use
      key/value pairs, what you'll need to do is search
      through column one of the array until you find your
      key, then use the row position where you found the key
      to know where to find the value you're wanting.

      Something like this:

      [Disclaimer: Untested code, may contain errors.
      Intended for discussion of process only]

      /* Set up a loop with the same number of iterations as
      the array has rows */
      for (iLoop = 0; iLoop < iMaxValue; iLoop++)
      {
      /* Check to see if the data in the first column
      */
      /* of this row of the array matches the Key */
      /* that we're looking for */
      if (array[iLoop][0] == KeySought)
      {
      /* Once the key is found, get the data in */
      /* the second column of the array, on that
      */
      /* same row. That is the Value that we're
      */
      /* looking for */
      ValueSought = array[iLoop][1];

      Hope that helps!

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Bill Gates
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6 9:55 AM
        Do you have a Kernighan and Ritchies C, the second edition? In section 6.6
        they give you a hash function. They are also prevalent in many algorithm
        books.

        >--- ramprasad_ap <ramprasad@...> wrote:
        > > Hello All
        > > I have been programming for more than 2 years now
        > > . I now need to
        > > convert one of my codes to C. I am an absolute
        > > beginner and I just
        > > want to know how to implement hashes in C.

      • frankie
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6 10:42 AM
          Hi all,

          Just a quick question...

          I am using the LWP module to grab a page and save it locally (as $file)...

          using this:

          my $return_query = "$return_URL?$query_string";
          my $result = getstore( $return_query, $file);
          unless ($result == 200) {
          print "Cannot download $return_URL : HTTP Status = $result\n";
          }

          My question is,, is there any way to get LWP to save that file as one
          line???

          I want to have the entire file made as a long single line, so I can use
          simple regex to seach the file and not have stuff missed because its over
          multiple lines..

          I know I can do it with a foreach loop.. but I was hoping that there was a
          way to avoid the extra step.

          Does anyone know of anything that would be useful to me here? or should I
          just go ahead and make it a single line buy using a foreach loop, chomping
          off the newline and appending each line to the last one...

          any tips would as always be fantastic and much appreciated.

          rgds

          Franki