3 Questions

  • Will
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
      Greets Folks,

      1.) This may sound like a dumb question, but is this a
      legitimate command?

      #!/usr/bin/perl -Tw

      2.) Also, when should I use taint checking? It seems
      like a good idea to use it all the time, but some
      scripts dont use it, and I dont understand why they
      wouldnt.

      3.) Does anyone know any good Perl IRC channels to get
      on for chat discussion as per Perl/CGI?

      Thanks,

      Will

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • frankie
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
        1. Yep, should be, it turns on warnings and taint mode.

        2. Firstly, it doesn't work that way on windows, the -T will stop the script
        running.

        Best uses are, all CGI scripts that get info from files or receive input
        from the user.. any script (cgi or otherwise that may get passed suspect
        data by any means.) if a script is self contained and doesn't get data from
        any potentially sus source, then taint mode is not necessary.

        3. No, sorry. :-)

        rgds

        Frank

        1.) This may sound like a dumb question, but is this a
        legitimate command?

        #!/usr/bin/perl -Tw

        2.) Also, when should I use taint checking? It seems
        like a good idea to use it all the time, but some
        scripts dont use it, and I dont understand why they
        wouldnt.

        3.) Does anyone know any good Perl IRC channels to get
        on for chat discussion as per Perl/CGI?

        Thanks,

        Will

      • Charles K. Clarkson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
          On Fri, Aug 2, 2002 Will <self_deprecated@...> asked:

          : 3.) Does anyone know any good Perl IRC channels to get
          : on for chat discussion as per Perl/CGI?

          It's not IRC, but perlmonks has a web-based chat.
          http://www.perlmonks.com/