LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment problem

  • Jeff Eggen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi all,

      I have a cgi script that calls a module which uses Sybase::CTlib. Unfortunately, the script doesn't load Sybase::CTlib properly unless I have the directory /usr/local/lib in the user running the script's LD_LIBRARY_PATH contents. I tried setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable in a BEGIN block in my module, but it had no effect. My webserver runs as user nobody, plus it won't source setup files so I can't set it for the user globally.

      What other ways are there to set the environment variables before the script tries loading modules?

      Thanks,

      Jeff Eggen
      IT Programmer Analyst
      Saskatchewan Government Insurance
      Ph (306) 751-1795
      email jeggen@...
      "The best way to accelerate a Win9x machine is at 9.81m/s2."
    • Mike Dillinger
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        Original Message: From: Jeff Eggen <perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com> Date:
        Thursday August 01 2002 08:33AM PT

        JE> Hi all,

        JE> I have a cgi script that calls a module which uses Sybase::CTlib.
        JE> Unfortunately, the script doesn't load Sybase::CTlib properly unless I
        JE> have the directory /usr/local/lib in the user running the script's
        JE> LD_LIBRARY_PATH contents. I tried setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
        JE> environment variable in a BEGIN block in my module, but it had no
        JE> effect. My webserver runs as user nobody, plus it won't source setup
        JE> files so I can't set it for the user globally.

        JE> What other ways are there to set the environment variables before the
        JE> script tries loading modules?

        Hi Jeff,

        Why don't you just add to their shell rc file?

        -MikeD
      • Jeff Eggen
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
          JE> effect. My webserver runs as user nobody, plus it won't source setup
          JE> files so I can't set it for the user globally.

          >Hi Jeff,

          >Why don't you just add to their shell rc file?

          Sorry, I guess I should have explained that sentence of mine above a little better. I can't just add it to the shell rc file because:

          1. User nobody on a unix system has no shell. As he has no shell, he has no shell rc files. Changing this presents security issues.
          2. Even if he did have a shell, the userid is being used in a context that doesn't take rc files into account, as there's no shell attached to the webserver. The init process, like cron, doesn't take environment into account when running scripts / programs.

          So, now you can see the bind I'm in. Well, make that 'was in', as this morning everything seems to be working fine!! I must have a hidden gremlin in the system (read: someone who doesn't believe in change control).

          Thanks for your help, though, and sorry to waste your time.