Re: [PBML] Why Perl?

  • Greg Webster
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 1998
      At 01:42 AM 8/5/98 -0500, you wrote:
      >I'm new to scripting on the Win 32 platform, but it seems as though there a
      >lot of options -- Perl, VB Script, Java Script, WSH, Kix, etc. How do I
      >know that "Perl" is the "right" language to learn??? i.e., if I'm starting
      >out with scripting, should Perl be my first language to learn, or would it
      >be more beneficial to start off with something else and pick up perl
      >ater? -Andy

      Hmmm...hard question. I personally went from HTML to Javascript then to
      Perl, and I'm still struggling along there.

      In the past though I've tried to teach myself things like Pascal (yeah, I'm
      old) and Visual Basic. I've accomplished more with Perl than I have with
      any other language, and I feel like I have a better grasp on the beginnings
      than any other language...

      I'd say Perl is an appropriate place to start.

      Greg Webster

      ----
      Read this list on the Web at http://www.makelist.com/list/perl-beginner/