Major major installation woes, please help!

  • Johnny Wales
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2002
      Hi! I've looked all over the internet for an answer to this question and I
      can't find a reliable answer. Please please please help me!

      I'm trying very hard to install perl 5.6.1. When I do the following:

      [root@bugzilla perl-5.6.1]# rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
      [root@bugzilla perl-5.6.1]# sh Configure -de
      <Snipped a bunch of stuff here that seems to go OK>
      Hmm... Looks kind of like a Version 7 system, but we'll see...

      Congratulations. You aren't running Eunice.

      It's not Xenix...

      Nor is it Venix...
      Use which C compiler? [cc]

      Checking for GNU cc in disguise and/or its version number...
      gccvers.c: In function `int main()':
      gccvers.c:10: `exit' undeclared (first use this function)
      gccvers.c:10: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
      function it appears in.)

      *** WHOA THERE!!! ***
      Your C compiler "cc" doesn't seem to be working!
      You'd better start hunting for one and let me know about it.
      [root@bugzilla perl-5.6.1]#

      Here's some information about the system:
      [root@bugzilla perl-5.6.1]# uname -a
      Linux bugzilla.internal.booksys.com 2.4.2-2smp #1 SMP Sun Apr 8 20:21:34
      EDT 2001 i686 unknown
      [root@bugzilla perl-5.6.1]# gcc -v
      Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.0.2/specs
      Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
      --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
      --disable-checking --host=i386-redhat-linux
      Thread model: posix
      gcc version 3.0.2 20010905 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 3.0.1-3)
      [root@bugzilla perl-5.6.1]#

      So, I figured there might be something up with gcc, but it compiles lots
      of other things just fine. What the heck is wrong here? Please help
      me.. My head is about to explode. Thanks in advance.

      --Me