RE: [PBML] Makefile

  • Franki
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2002
      Have you considered just rebuilding a source rpm?? or is it a non rpm
      system..??

      http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=majordomo

      I have compiled and installed minordomo, (now renamed to minorfish for
      reasons that should be obvious :-)

      no great hassle...

      but for most things, installing the rpm is just faster..

      sorry can't be of more assistance.

      rgds

      Frank

        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2002
          At 23:05 31/05/02 +0800, Franki wrote :-
          >Have you considered just rebuilding a source rpm?? or is it a non rpm
          >system..??
          >
          ><http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=majordomo>http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=majordomo
          >
          >I have compiled and installed minordomo, (now renamed to minorfish for
          >reasons that should be obvious :-)
          >
          >no great hassle...
          >
          >but for most things, installing the rpm is just faster..
          >
          >sorry can't be of more assistance.

          Hmm - Whats RPM ? -

          Hmm I see you use Linux ? (I'm on Windows...)

          I'm reading the install information now - It seems that its
          (Makefile) Uses a C-compiler - I dont have C on my Pc :-(

          But - As Maisha asked - What does Makefile actually do (That you cant do
          manually)

          & Ill assume you go into DOS mode, & go to the perl directory, & type

          perl -makefile blah blah blah (or something like that...)

          Hopefully, I think i'll get some answers (eventually) when their majordomo
          people wake up ;-)

          G.
        • open_myeyes
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2002
            A makefile is used by the make program.
            It is a set of instructions for compiling, linking, processing, and
            possibly installing a program. (Usually-- though it can be used for
            other things)

            If you do not have a C compiler on your windows machine, chances are
            you also do not have the ability to make use of the Makefile.

            Regardless, while the majority of majordomo is written in perl, it
            does have a couple of c components which must be compiled. See
            http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/majordomo-faq.html#1.3 This
            means that unless you can find a binary version of majordomo that was
            compiled for win32(and I've never seen one), you CAN'T use MAJORDOMO
            on a WINDOWS machine.

            Sorry. Tough luck. Install linux, then install majordomo.
            Majordomo was most definitely NOT written with windows or windows
            users in mind.

            Thank you. That's all. Bu-bye now.