Moving on - opinions sought

  • Eric Via
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2002
      I'd welcome the views on this issue from you fine people, especially the
      more seasoned Perl folks among us.

      I have a friend at work who *I* turned on to Perl - he is a C++ Developer,
      and so it was very cool to have HIM looking over MY shoulder amazed at some
      stuff I had done with Perl. (I'm no whiz - just persistant and a (usually
      good) resercher.

      He learned it - we learned it together - I still love Perl and am still
      learning.

      Suddenly he's been bitten by the JAVA BUG!!! He thinks I should "move to
      learning Java, move to learning Java!" he tells me 20 times a day - he tells
      me today that "any more time you spend developing in Perl is a waste of your
      time!" And yesterday he "gave" me a huge book of learning Java!

      He says now that "very few" companies use Perl that much - and that Java is
      the way to go - that it will provide me with "more structure" than Perl can
      offer and I can learn about "Objects"

      (I almost picked up the nearest OBJECT from my desk and threw it at him at
      that stage)

      I'm NOT trying to start a "which is better and why" long thread - simply
      soliciting a few opinions on:

      * Do you think that before I am CONFIDENT with MOST of using Perl on the fly
      without reference I should "move on" to another language?

      * Do you feel Perl is "on the way out" or going to be overlooked by Java??!
      (Maybe it's my computer - but I personally have found that ANY time I hit a
      page with Java onboard or run a Java app such as Limewire I feel my computer
      is about to explode - that it's doing an AWFUL lot of NOISE and disk
      spinning for no apparent reason - it gives me the creeps the way it acts!)

      I tend to think - to HOPE - that as far as carreers go, that most any
      company would have Perl AVAILABLE, and I don't know about all companies, but
      the current company i work for - I joined up and was surrounded by COBOl
      programmers (Microfocus COBOl on an HP Unix box) , and I showed them how to
      use UNIX for shell scripts, etc - and some of them are quite fond of UNIX
      now - in other words I like to think it's not WHICH tool you USE, but how
      you get it done with the least amount of time and effort wasted.

      So this is a true beginner's question and subject, I am simply worried
      about the time I have invested into learning Perl and solicit opinions pro
      or con.

      THANKS!!!

      Eric

      Eric Via coolhand.luke@...