Re: [PBML] returning arrays and hashes from a subroutine

  • Charles K. Clarkson
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2002
      "markveerman" <mark@...> wrote:

      : Thanks Charles - Are you telling me that even though it
      : works it's not good code? :-).

      When I started with perl last year, almost everything I
      managed to get working was an example of poor coding.
      A subroutine should be able to be pulled out of the
      program it was written in and placed in another and run
      with minimal adjustment.

      When writing a subroutine, think of it as if a manager
      just handed you an assignment. You have no idea how this
      sub will be used in the program. You know what it should
      accept, what it should return, and what it should do.

      You can cut some corners for short programs, but the
      larger and more complex your script gets the more you
      need to follow this or a more refined approach to
      building subroutines.

      : As if it's not totally obvious - I'm a novice.

      A novice what?

      : > So this is what Japhy meant. Shame on you Japhy, I
      : > can't believe you'd let Mark do it this way. :)
      :
      : In defense of Japhy, today was the first day I've ever
      : written a sub routine, so the issues with scoping and
      : local/global variables is entirely new.

      Is was meant as a joke. I knew Japhy didn't mean want
      you thought he did.

      HTH,

      Charles K. Clarkson
      --
      Head Bottle Washer,
      Clarkson Energy Homes, Inc.

      CJ Web Work - Domains for Real Estate Investors.
      E Pluribus Unum -- One from many.
    • Franki
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2002
        well you just taught me something as well..

        I hadn't really given it much thought, but now that I have, its kinda
        obvious and I am ashamed of myself for not realising it..

        I had been wondering why not all of my "return" code works...

        Thankyou..

        regards

        Frank