Uninitialized value -

  • Chirhart, Brian
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2002
      I am trying to evaluate a variable that is sometimes blank. The problem
      that I am running in to is that when it evaluates the variable as blank, I
      get an error of "Use of uninitialized value in string ne at line 345.

      Here is 345:

      if ($InterfaceIndex ne '' ) {
      $NewInterfaceIndex = $InterfaceIndex;
      }

      This must be something that I am just overlooking, but I can't seem to find
      why it would error out then.

      What I am trying to do is say - if $InterfaceIndex equals anything, then
      pass that value to the variable $NewInterfaceIndex. If it equals nothing
      then do nothing.
    • daymobrew
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2002
        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Chirhart, Brian" <bchirhart@f...> wrote:
        > I am trying to evaluate a variable that is sometimes blank. The
        problem
        > that I am running in to is that when it evaluates the variable as
        blank, I
        > get an error of "Use of uninitialized value in string ne at line
        345.

        > Here is 345:
        >
        > if ($InterfaceIndex ne '' ) {
        > $NewInterfaceIndex = $InterfaceIndex;
        > }
        >
        > This must be something that I am just overlooking, but I can't seem
        to find
        > why it would error out then.
        >
        > What I am trying to do is say - if $InterfaceIndex equals anything,
        then
        > pass that value to the variable $NewInterfaceIndex. If it equals
        nothing
        > then do nothing.

        How about:
        if ( defined $InterfaceIndex ) { ...
      • Eric Via
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2002
          I'd welcome the views on this issue from you fine people, especially the
          more seasoned Perl folks among us.

          I have a friend at work who *I* turned on to Perl - he is a C++ Developer,
          and so it was very cool to have HIM looking over MY shoulder amazed at some
          stuff I had done with Perl. (I'm no whiz - just persistant and a (usually
          good) resercher.

          He learned it - we learned it together - I still love Perl and am still
          learning.

          Suddenly he's been bitten by the JAVA BUG!!! He thinks I should "move to
          learning Java, move to learning Java!" he tells me 20 times a day - he tells
          me today that "any more time you spend developing in Perl is a waste of your
          time!" And yesterday he "gave" me a huge book of learning Java!

          He says now that "very few" companies use Perl that much - and that Java is
          the way to go - that it will provide me with "more structure" than Perl can
          offer and I can learn about "Objects"

          (I almost picked up the nearest OBJECT from my desk and threw it at him at
          that stage)

          I'm NOT trying to start a "which is better and why" long thread - simply
          soliciting a few opinions on:

          * Do you think that before I am CONFIDENT with MOST of using Perl on the fly
          without reference I should "move on" to another language?

          * Do you feel Perl is "on the way out" or going to be overlooked by Java??!
          (Maybe it's my computer - but I personally have found that ANY time I hit a
          page with Java onboard or run a Java app such as Limewire I feel my computer
          is about to explode - that it's doing an AWFUL lot of NOISE and disk
          spinning for no apparent reason - it gives me the creeps the way it acts!)

          I tend to think - to HOPE - that as far as carreers go, that most any
          company would have Perl AVAILABLE, and I don't know about all companies, but
          the current company i work for - I joined up and was surrounded by COBOl
          programmers (Microfocus COBOl on an HP Unix box) , and I showed them how to
          use UNIX for shell scripts, etc - and some of them are quite fond of UNIX
          now - in other words I like to think it's not WHICH tool you USE, but how
          you get it done with the least amount of time and effort wasted.

          So this is a true beginner's question and subject, I am simply worried
          about the time I have invested into learning Perl and solicit opinions pro
          or con.

          THANKS!!!

          Eric

          Eric Via coolhand.luke@...