Classifieds script

  • aaxx@e-apollo.lv
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2000
      Hi!

      Maybe someone has the classifieds script with the following features:
      - users can post and remove classifieds;
      - users can attach and remove pictures.

      Please help. I need a free script because i am running small site and
      I cant pay 100$ or more for one script. Last week i found a good
      script on the net. It works well, but the problem is that users can't
      remove classifieds. For this module I have to pay money again :(

      Please email to: aaxx@... if you can help.
      Thanks
    • webmaster@bmw-club.org.uk
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2000
        --- In perl-beginner@egroups.com, aaxx@e... wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > Maybe someone has the classifieds script with the following
        features:
        > - users can post and remove classifieds;
        > - users can attach and remove pictures.
        I have just written my own script because all the free ones I tried
        either didn't work properly, or were too complicated to install, and
        I did not want to pay for one either.

        At the moment my script does not allow posting of pics, and does not
        allow removal of ads. This is tricky because you have to be certain
        that the person removing the ad is the one who posted it.

        I am working on a way of doing that using passwords and cookies.

        I'll let you know when I've got something more useful. In the mean
        time, have a look at what I've done so far, at

        www.bmw-club.org.uk/messages/bbs.html

        Greg Smith
        BMW Club webmaster
      • arnottf@interv8.co.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
          did you ever get a solution to this? I too am trying to find a way of
          editing/deleting ads without having to buy a script! any help is
          GREATLY appreciated!!!!

          --- In perl-beginner@y..., webmaster@b... wrote:
          > --- In perl-beginner@egroups.com, aaxx@e... wrote:
          > > Hi!
          > >
          > > Maybe someone has the classifieds script with the following
          > features:
          > > - users can post and remove classifieds;
          > > - users can attach and remove pictures.
          > I have just written my own script because all the free ones I tried
          > either didn't work properly, or were too complicated to install,
          and
          > I did not want to pay for one either.
          >
          > At the moment my script does not allow posting of pics, and does
          not
          > allow removal of ads. This is tricky because you have to be certain
          > that the person removing the ad is the one who posted it.
          >
          > I am working on a way of doing that using passwords and cookies.
          >
          > I'll let you know when I've got something more useful. In the mean
          > time, have a look at what I've done so far, at
          >
          > www.bmw-club.org.uk/messages/bbs.html
          >
          > Greg Smith
          > BMW Club webmaster
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
            Yep.
            My message board now has the ability for advertisers to delete their

            My approach was thus:
            When an ad is posted, a random 6 character password is created, and
            an encrypted version is saved along with the ad.

            An e-mail is sent to the advertiser with a link to the delete script,
            which includes the raw password. The delete script encrypts the
            password and then finds the message where the password matches. It
            then re-writes the data file, omitting the matched record.

            I also wrote an admin script which allows me to delete out-of-date,
            and off-topic ads. This was very simple to do.
            The script reads the data one line at a time into an array and
            creates a html document with a link in each line which includes the
            array index. When you click the link, the script notes the index
            number and re-writes the data file, omitting the chosen line.
            As a bonus, the script also e-mails the advertiser telling him that
            his ad has been deleted.

            e-mail me off-group for specific help, code-snippets, etc.

            Greg Smith
            webmaster
            http://www.bmw-club.org.uk/messages/bbs.html